Has Harley just built the ultimate retro Harley?

I would always stop at the Harley dealers when making a road trip on my '86, custom painted black, GoldWing. When the salesmen would ask me if I needed help I would say, I'm only here for the free coffee. While drinking my coffee I was always drawn to the, full dressed, white Harleys on the showroom floor. Very seldom I would buy a bottle of S-100.

Last edited:
Not really into Harleys, but that does look nice. I just noticed you're in Surprise AZ, Mailman, we passed through there around 1994 on our trip to the states.

Not really into Harleys, but that does look nice. I just noticed you're in Surprise AZ, Mailman, we passed through there around 1994 on our trip to the states.

Well that quite a coincidence. Yes we moved here almost 5 years ago after we retired. 🙂 A lot has changed since you were here, we are growing extremely fast. Too fast for my liking!

IMHO, although I love my twin cam, I think the Evo was the best engine they ever produced. Simple and durable. The Shovelhead wasn't called the troublehead for nothing. The early twin cams had cam chain tensioner issues that if not caught in time would result in 88 cubes of scrap metal. Leave it to H-D to let their customers sort out the problems on the customers dime.
Yes, so I've learned. Some fellas I know with T Cam went to gears, and a few found that the crank was not true enough > elliptical > .003" so the gear route was closed to them. I'm changing my '87 final from belt to chain, wet to dry, and rocker clutch/jocky...runs like a top, and pumps oil on start, like most of the old evos. (that's correctable). The basic bifurcated 45 degree layout is intrinsically unbalanced, a ME friend says. 50 horses will get you over a ton, and not shake itself apart. That's about the evo and also the sport 883. Old man philosophy... Later!
Best!

I traded my twin cam fat boy for this bike. The twin cam was a great bike, but I’m a sucker for vintage bikes. The Twinkie just lacked the soul like the Shovelheads have. My buddy I traded with turned the fat boy into a cholo ride. Very nice but not my style.

Naw, just the originals.
I also did the Fueling high volume oil pump and cam chest with upgraded bearings and recently, S&S cams & exhaust. It's making 93 HP at the rear wheel now with cams that perform where I ride, off idle and mid range. It ain't fast, but it's not bad for a dinosaur.

Well that quite a coincidence. Yes we moved here almost 5 years ago after we retired. 🙂 A lot has changed since you were here, we are growing extremely fast. Too fast for my liking!
Happening everywhere, the world is growing fast: When we moved to Aldinga Beach 12 years ago we moved here because it was quiet. It was just a quiet beachside holiday suburb on the outskirts of Adelaide. There was a two lane road down here, a few small shops. Now, we have a shopping mall, a cafe strip, a super school, plus three or four other private schools and the main road is now being upgraded to a four lane highway with a fly over.

Yes, so I've learned. Some fellas I know with T Cam went to gears, and a few found that the crank was not true enough > elliptical > .003" so the gear route was closed to them. I'm changing my '87 final from belt to chain, wet to dry, and rocker clutch/jocky...runs like a top, and pumps oil on start, like most of the old evos. (that's correctable). The basic bifurcated 45 degree layout is intrinsically unbalanced, a ME friend says. 50 horses will get you over a ton, and not shake itself apart. That's about the evo and also the sport 883. Old man philosophy... Later!
Best!
The crank issue is why I didn't pursue the S&S gear drive which was what I wanted because of it's simplicity. I see no upside to the twin-cam design.

I also did the Fueling high volume oil pump and cam chest with upgraded bearings and recently, S&S cams & exhaust. It's making 93 HP at the rear wheel now with cams that perform where I ride, off idle and mid range. It ain't fast, but it's not bad for a dinosaur.
Yeah, I did the bearing upgrades too, just didnt want to do the gear drive for same reasons you mentioned.

I dunno....I've owned "Ruby", my 2002 Road King since about 2003 and have loved every minute of it.

Looks very retro, like my Dad's old Panheads back in the day.

She's never, ever let me down...fits me like a glove and has quite literally become part of the family.

We've done over 77,000 miles together, including several trips out to Sturgis and back from Washington State. Yeah, she's a keeper. 🥰

View attachment 242176
The Evo engine is what makes that, for me.
Earlier bolt-buckets, not so much.

Uh Oh.......Made the mistake of visiting the local Harley dealer yesterday and they had just wheeled this onto the sales floor:
IMG_6156.jpeg

Meanwhile…….look what just came up for sale in Arizona 😎

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/d/prescott-1966-harley-davidson-shovelhead/7655465812.html

IMG_6155.jpeg

Last edited:
Ironically after seeing this thread earlier today, guess what I saw for the first time this evening?

I gotta say, they nailed the look on this bike...wow. The color was amazing too.

I cant get rid of my Road King...had her way too long, but damn....

1692326732950.png

Ironically after seeing this thread earlier today, guess what I saw for the first time this evening?

I gotta say, they nailed the look on this bike...wow. The color was amazing too.

I cant get rid of my Road King...had her way too long, but damn....

View attachment 249440
Comfy too: that seat is the best ever......

Wonder how much shit I'd endure if I showed -up at a 650Society rally with one?:umm:

Back