head pipe - muffler separation, cause and effect?

queenslegs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I was just heading home for lunch, doing about 110 (65 mph) on the highway, bike starts running like crap, coughs a couple of times and dies. mmm.... I'm just about to call in the cavalry (read that as wife), I look down to see the left side muffer separated from the pipe (see pic). Wait a bit, try bike, starts right up! Kilometer or so later, exiting the highway, stalls. wait a bit, starts right up. so on so on till I make it home.
So my questions are two fold.
1) Is the stalling a result of the separation; and
2) It that a collar holding the pipe and the muffler together or what gives here? And how do these go back together?

Context: 79 special, stock exhaust, stock jetting, pamco ignition, stock advance. Was running great all last weekend over 400 km.

pipe_muffler.jpg

I think you've got two separate issues going on there.

Definitely a cracked/separated exhaust.

The distance you're able to cover before the stall/die episodes leads me to think you may have fuel starvation from a slow flowing petcock...

- - - Now onto that exhaust issue..... Thanks!

Hi queenslegs,
as I see it, there's two options with the '79s stock all welded exhaust.
Do it right:-
Remove the entire system, check out what's broke and either weld it back together or alternatively cut both mufflers off, weld in adapters to fit the inner header pipes and install your choice of slip-ons.
The quick bodge:-
Wrap the crack with muffler tape and put a stainless steel T-bolt clamp over top.
[edit]
OK; option 3:-
Ditch the lot and replace with an aftermarket system.

Thanks Fred, seeing how the riding season up here is what it is, I tack welded it for mechanical stability, wrapped it up, and will wait for winter for a more permanent solution lol!

Back