Headlight toggle switch woes...

DetroitMuscle07

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I finished wiring up a combined rec/reg from a XJ650 to my 74' TX650A. Its charging at 14.7 volts and Im very pleased with that. I removed the stock handlebar controls so I could remote mount a on-off-on toggle switch for my low and high beam(center position is off). I ran a wire from my fuse block (10amp) to the on-off-on toggle and hid the toggle up by the triple tree area. My problem is when I flip the toggle switch on, the voltage at the battery drops down to 12v immediately. The switch has a warning that says "for use in low voltage systems with 10amps or less and 12v or less." Why is this happening? Did I perhaps purchase the wrong type of toggle? I even directly connected the toggle power wire to the battery (bypassing the fuse block) and the battery voltage still drops to 12v immediately when switched. I really want to be able to use the on-off-on type toggle for my application. Does anyone have any suggestions? Ive searched all the local auto parts stores and they only carry the same 3 way switch that I have now. At least the rec/reg wiring went well! Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks!

The switch should be okay. Amps = Watts/Voltage, for about 4 amps with a stock headlight. I'd have to suspect a weak charging system if it won't get any higher than 12 with the light on.

Attachments

• FormulaWheelElectronics.gif
    FormulaWheelElectronics.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 124
You didn't say at what rpm is the engine for this test. After starting the engine, wait a few minutes and measure the voltage (headlight on). With rpm at about 1200,you should have around 13.5 volts. If you have the idle set for only 1100, then the voltage may be less than 12 volts..............the engine needs to be at least 1200 rpm to generate 13.5 volts. If you rev to 3000 rpm then the voltage should go up to about 14.5 volts with the light on.

What is the wattage of your headlight on low beam? 55 watt is normal for these bikes. If you have a higher wattage then that could pull down the voltage.

Thanks for the reply. My rotor checks out at over 5 ohms. This problem was not with me 2 days ago when I had the stock bar controls and individual rectifier and regulator.

Headlight wattage is 55/60. With headlight off and idle at 1200 the voltage is 13.5 and with low beam on voltage falls to 12.3 or so.

What counts is the voltage at 3000 rpm and above. Idle doesn't matter.

you should be fine, these bikes don't charge at idle anyways.

oops too slow, what he said^ lol

Convert the tail/brake light to led. It will make a big difference on the current draw. The at idle voltage will be higher. Converting the turn signals to led helps too.
The stock headlight is a 40/50 watt bulb. Most after market Halogen bulbs that use a reflector and an H-4 bulb are 50/65 watts. The extra current draw if the extra 15 watts makes a big difference on the idle voltage.
That extra draw sure finds the weak spots in the wiring and charging.

XSLeo,
Im running a Model A style tailight. It has a #63 bulb for the running light and a 1156 for the stop light. I went to a few autoparts stores today and I could only find a 1156 led in red. They did not have a #63 led bulb. Do you perhaps have an online source for led bulbs? I've checked www.superbrightleds.com and they dont have a #63 either. Thanks!

You can use a led bulb that fits the socket. It doesn't nessarily have to be a #63. I'm not sure of the base size of a #6 bulb. At super bright they list the base sizes of their bulbs.
On my LED tail light conversios I wired 5 3 volt white LED's in series and pointed them at the plate from inside the lense.
I'll look around and see what I can find.

Last edited:
I did a little poking around. Is the base of the #63 bulb the same size as the 1156 bulb or is it smaller?

those vatozone led's are pretty dim inside a model a housing during the day, you can hardly see the brake light on a bright day.

Xsleo,
Please excuse my mistake. The bulb is a #67 not a #63. The base is the same size as a 1156, but it's about half as tall. Thanks!

Flyboy,
Thanks for the link. I will poke around on the site.

They have a listing for 67 bulb. it's on the page with the 1156 and 1157 bulbs.
On the old light housings not being very bright. thats the way they are. looking good means more than being safe.
Thats why most of those old style lights are not DOT approved. The beehive, tombstone, limp sausage, the model A. If you look in the Catalogs the say right in the desciption that they are not DOT approved unless your bike is a 48 or older

Back