Heated gear - any thoughts?

MaxPete

Lucille, Betty, Demi, Gretel & Big Sue money pits.
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All:

On the ST Owners forum I stumbled upon this little Canadian company called ElectroWear.ca that sells some nice looking heated gear (and who would know more about heated gear than a Canadian company....?). Check out the above linky. They have a cool (ooops - warm) looking vest with a heated collar - and I am told that it is very well made.

For those of us buying in "short" dollars, the no-shipping and no border-baloney of a Canadian firm are a definite plus and for those of you who deal in "long" dollars, the deal only gets better! The company has a good website and a fitting guide for the vest that looks easy to use. I will be looking carefully at that heated collar vest!

I did have heated grips on the ST1300, but I never seemed to use them - although they worked just fine. I also have some nice heated gloves, but I had malaria when I was on the oilrigs in Nigeria and ever since then, I don't seem to notice temperature extremes as much as most people.

Do a lot of you use heated gear - any thoughts?

...and Mailman - Aunt Mildred has asked me to point out that we do not need you to post another tiresome photo of you floating around in your pool with a pina colada - in January - young man! :lmao:

Scolding_Mother.jpg

Pete

Slightly off topic while still on topic, I work construction and usually end up outside during the winter or in an unfinished concrete building. Heated gear is a gift from the gods. I have a Milwaukee jacket that uses a small battery and keeps me nice during the cold days. Because of having to work in this weather, I generally avoid riding while the use of heated gear is needed. If I did, I would say it's worth the investment 100% at a minimum, heated grips and/or heated gloves

How many amps does out alternator make if it’s working properly, 16? How much is the basic motorcycle using? Is heated gear an option?

Heated gear in general or with the XS?
In general I'm a fan, can't comment as how it will affect the XS wile running

The ElectroWear heated collar vest ($150 CAD which is about $4.27 USD at the current rate of exchange) draws 3.6 amps or about 49 Watts. By my math, that is less than 25% of the output of the XS650 alternator, so I suspect it would be OK - as long you didn't honk the horn while using it ;).

1647974514811.png

I guess the other thing is that I would be very unlikely to use my XS650s on a day when heated gear would be warranted.

In contrast, the '83 BMW R100RS alternator reportedly puts out about 280 Watts - so a 49 Watt draw for the vest wouldn't likely be an issue, especially since I have replaced most of the lights with LEDs and they draw about 5-10% of the draw of a comparable incandescent bulb.

Oh man…..you’re no fun! :laugh2:

Yes Mailman - I know. But if you had an Auntie like Mildred....would you be any fun?

Pete

Got piles of heated stuff. SELDOM use it.
But as part of the trip to see the wizzard. I'm bringing it along. Pennz to WI 1st of April, the joke will be on me.
Yes with an LED headlight the XS will support some gear. The beemer more. Handlebar volt meter and accessable on off switches.
But experience and my general aversion to misery from cold sez meh; if the weather's that cold, they are salting or there's ice, snow etc on the roads.
No matter how much gear rain is often part of the weather and once you are wet NOTHING is fun.
Not to mention storing donning, plugging, unplugging every mount dismount.
I have gotten some good use out of battery socks.
Heated grips and seat. They STAY on the bike. flip a switch on off, as temps require make more sense IMHO.
Enough for most of my cold weather rides.
Unless you are a serious distance rider, a couple of disposable heat packs for hands and feet are all that's needed for a nasty weather surprise. Found in most gas stations. I keep some in my tank bag.

I am not a fan of newer High Tech solutions .. Motorcycles have been used here back in the days even with skis on them
Military dispatch riders

If you are out in the elements ..the rule is clothing and food must be fail safe so you can make it should the technical aspects not work
Matches so you can make a fire some dry clothes in water tight bags should you fall in the water.
its better these days but before mobile phones people died every year .. having the wrong clothing being at the wrong place.

If the right jackets / gloves / Helmet / Trousers is used you will be fine and have the right clothing should the bike stop
For the long walk home or sleep the night in the woods.

Not saying it is a bad idea .. But I prefer the old school solutions.

This is my blackjack heated vest, made by electrowear.ca, a Vancouver Island Canadian company. Nice people and great product. It is a game changer for late fall and early spring riding. I've used it a number of times on my '74 and haven't had any melt down issues. It's running through a 7.5 amp fuse.
20220322_193800.jpg

Thanks Van Islander - this is a super piece of info - much appreciated!

I'm going to ask for one of those from the Tooth Fairy the next time something falls off my old carcass.

Pete

Hello @MaxPete, it is no secret I ride year round in northern Virginia, but let's be realistic, it really doesn't get all that cold here. Most winters we can reach down to the teens F (-7 to -12°C) and once in a while into the single digits F. My previous heated gear (jacket liner and gloves) is from Tourmaster and it hooked to the Triumph like most other connected gear does. I quit using it though after six winters and have gone with battery powered heated gloves only for the last two winters. I find these suit me best for the type of chill we get here.

With that said, I find I like the look and capability of the heated, long sleeve jacket liner with heated collar. I will keep this in mind for future possibilities.

On Buzzy this winter, adding the windshield and using the battery gloves worked great. I never had an issue with temps down to 13°F (-10C). And I didn't need to add an umbilical cord to the bike.

I used to surf take surf trips to the east coast to surf in the winter. Waters in the low to mid 30s and chest high snow on the beach sort of situation.

I knew a few people who would wear a heat rash guard. Battery powered and well waterproof.

Lasted about 2 hours.

They loved em and said they were super warm in the water.

Maybe an option for short rides or turn it on and off as needed???

Wont kill your bike battery.

https://www.thermalutionstore.com/s...oof-heated-diving-undersuit-jzt64-ma5xp-efg6r

Back