Help with ignition switch wiring

bcthomas

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was trying to use a sawzall while wearing a cast and chopped off the dangling ignition switch on my 77xs project. I plan on running toggle and momentary switches in place of the factory switch but I need to know which wires do what etc.:shrug:
18ec387f.jpg

Been loving this early spring...riding the XR everyday but I'm dying to get out on the 650
4450f10c.jpg

Thanks for the help!

The red wire is the power feed, coming from the main fuse and rectifier output. Brown is feeding most of the loads...........signals, horn, kill switch. voltage regulator, etc. Red/yellow goes to the lights switch. Blue goes to the tail light, meter lights, and to the lights switch.

Don't let that sawzall near any of your own dangling parts:D

Hmmm...the way I have them twisted together in folded pairs leaves the bike in acc mode. Does anyone have a picture of the bottom of a switch with the wires intact?

wiring to a toggle, (OFF & ON posistion I) one side Red the other side Brown and Red/Yellow, the Blue (posistion II) is the ACC park (tail light on)

Attachments

• 77 switch.PNG
    77 switch.PNG
    1.8 KB · Views: 179
On the switch I have in my hand off my 75 the wire colors are marked right into the plastic next to where the wire hook.
If you can't read them, lets number the wire connections. In your pic the one toward the center is #1 and the brown wire hooks there. Over to the left of the three is #2, the red/yellow wire goes there. Next right is #3, red wire, next #4 is the blue wire.
Leo

Back