How hot should my disk get?

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
A month or two ago I put on new brake pads. For the last couple of days the brakes would sometimes squeal when applied, so today I looked at them after a squeal at the end of a ride and the disk was too hot to hold on to. Raised the front wheel, and it does seem to turn freely. Maybe the piston is somehow semi-seized? Or is too hot to touch normal?

Unless there was some serious braking normally the disk won't be all that hot. Have you done an overhaul of the brake system? If you haven't I would take this as a sign that you should because it needs it.

E=mc2 you're hauling down a 600 lb. motorcycle, if when you are done and the front wheel still spins free consider yourself lucky (the brake is working properly)

Even slight drag on the disc can build up a lot of heat. For the time it takes it would be worth checking the caliper piston returns freely. I periodically remove the caliper, remove the rubber dust seal, pump the piston out perhaps a little over half way, clean, apply a trace of rubber grease (brake grease) to the piston and push it back in (sometimes takes a bit of wriggling to encourage it to move back in). When I'm leant over in a corner the last thing I want to think about is 'I wonder if my front brake is dragging':D

When I'm leant over in a corner the last thing I want to think about is 'I wonder if my front brake is dragging':D

Me too except with me it's more like the last thing I want is wondering if I'm going to have brakes as I approach the upcoming intersection :)

I discovered the problem I think. There's a sleeve in the caliper that apparently's the thing that keeps the pads equidistant from the disk. It was pretty sticky so I lubed it. I think the squealing when the brakes were applied was related to excessive heat, building up from a pad dragging. Squealing went away. But I haven't liked the feel of the brakes ever since I put pads in. I'm going to order parts to rebuild them, and new hoses, here in a few.

I'm the world's champion miser. I hate to spend a dime. But like I read today, "Better a year early than a day late." :)

Good for you!
Not much fun but a LOT easier with new parts, and as you say the security of KNOWING the front brakes are up to snuff.... priceless.

Back