How to remove old, dry tires from rim

So after reading this thread I felt inspired. I just happened to have some ancient original tires
on my XS2 that need to come off.
This morning I ran to the hardware store and bought some of those hook shaped razor blades for my Stanley knife, and when I got home I broke out my bead busting lumber and got ready.
I removed the valve stems and here is how I broke the bead on these old tires.
6A855859-1435-467C-AF2A-6E7F42A62C46.jpeg

WITH MY THUMB!
I couldn’t believe it! Next up the razor knife, cut through the sidewalls like butter baby!
604643C7-906F-44C2-A31A-C84252AED486.jpeg

F19701EC-03DC-451D-A559-6ED44F15D734.jpeg

What was left of the tires pried right off. Easy Peasy, didn’t even have to use any kind of lubricant.
D7AE5E9A-F375-4261-B37B-344244E738E4.jpeg

3815B0DE-366C-4F42-9825-80EBFF24497A.jpeg

20 minutes , start to finish!
XSWestgate is a genius!

That's an old trick we used to use when I worked in a semi repair shop many many years ago. Sometimes you just couldn't get a bead to seat, or if on a roadside repair. I've got a nice scar on my forehead from an inflation ring incident, but that's another story.... A can of ether and a couple passes around the tire with it leaving a trail out. Ignite and stand back. First couple of times a guy showed me i about shit my pants. It's one thing on a semi-trailer tire, but I would never do in a bike tire.
If you use this method you MUST immediately air up the tire. I did this to seat a car tire once. Took a couple of tries, but once it seated I was so pleased that I admired my work for just a few short seconds... then the air in the tire started cooling off and contracting, shrinking the tire with it... until a side wall collapsed. The tire was still seated, but it was pretty much destroyed safety-wise.

Being a low mileage rider my tires tend to last a long time and be a bear to remove.
The last time I DIY'd it the swap it did not go well.
Since then I take the wheels to my favorite bike shop, pay them the money and let them do it.

Back