I am pretty nervous about rewiring this bike. Should I just dive in?

can anyone tell me what the blue wire form the alternator harness is for? I do not even see it in the factory book. I have a 77 XS650 and I am rewiring it to be a bobber. I am using the first diagram in the electrical tech section.

Also, in that wiring diagram, there is just one fuse, but in the others there are several. Why is that? Should I beef up the rewire and add all these extra fuses?

Thanks!

^+1
There's the earlier '77 vin to 2f0-006501 with just the one fuse, and then the later '77 with the four fuses. IMO it would be beneficial to separate circuits in order to make troubleshooting a little more easy.

If you look at the harness as it comes up from the stator, you will see the sky blue wire enter the harness. At this point it is going to the neutral light switch on the top of the transmission.
As you continue following the harness you will find a large plug. Here the sky blue wire runs into the stock harness and up to the neutral light.
When you turn the key on power is sent to the neutral light on the brown wire. From the bulb on the sky blue wire to the switch. When the bike is in neutral the switch grounds the sky blue wire and the neutral light lights up.
It is shown in most of the factory diagrams I have seen. The neutral switch is usually right beside the alternator.
Leo

If you look at the harness as it comes up from the stator, you will see the sky blue wire enter the harness. At this point it is going to the neutral light switch on the top of the transmission.
As you continue following the harness you will find a large plug. Here the sky blue wire runs into the stock harness and up to the neutral light.
When you turn the key on power is sent to the neutral light on the brown wire. From the bulb on the sky blue wire to the switch. When the bike is in neutral the switch grounds the sky blue wire and the neutral light lights up.
It is shown in most of the factory diagrams I have seen. The neutral switch is usually right beside the alternator.
I like the fourth diagram. It shows several ways to wire a bike depending on the parts you have.
Leo

I like the fourth diagram. It shows several ways to wire a bike depending on the parts you have.
Leo

when wiring I like a diagram of stock wiring and one of the new. this saves time when you run across things that glow......all so a understanding of what things do is great...as you get into 80's they seem to add more crap to break down. still have no clue what a reed switch does :laugh: :twocents:

I wired my last two bikes. Wiring does suck but what worked for me was to use the simple examples found here. Take your time,and use a meter to totally understand how the bar switches work. I made up a bunch of wires with aligator clips on the ends so as to check how flow would work with a multi meter. It's alot like plumbing,water in,water out!!! You can do it!!!

Back