I have matches, and this bike is begging for one.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Damn think won't go, won't even cough.. I haven't started it for quite a while, the only thing I've done to it since I last started it is add a chain guard, a centrestand, covered the seat and added a digital speedo. I'm suspecting the chain guard???

Timing is spot on, carbs were a little choked up with rust particles, because the tank sat dry for a few months and I wasn't running fuel filers., but the carbs are now clean and run through inline filters and it has a good spark. Valves have not been touched since I last started it, but I did check to make sure they were still operating.

Speedo is a digital and curiously there is continuity between power and earth wires and of course the coil sensor wire. This resulted in the LED timing light remaining on whether points were open or closed, but there was still spark. Once the speedo was disconnected the LED timing light behaved as it should, but still the bike won't even cough, even when fuel. Is injected through the mouth of the carbs.

So, the speedo is now disconnected, timing light is working as it should, timing checked over and over again, points cleaned and gap checked,, carbs spotless, spark at the plugs - not a cough!

Hardly a stock or standard XS, too many mods to list, I'd need a roll of toilet paper, but, they all worked previously. I've changed my mind, it couldn't possibly be the chain guard, I think it may be the seat cover, that was the last thing done.

I'll just go cut the seat cover off and try again.

Now, where did I leave those matches.

This looks like fire kindling, correct?

Attachments

• 348427693_899972201098915_4371250490710870903_n.jpg
    348427693_899972201098915_4371250490710870903_n.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 62
I think I've found the problem: I opened up the points and it coughed. Of course now the battery is flat as a tack. So apparently when I made the points cam I must have had the points opened up way past ,13mm.

So, back on the machines, whoo hoo!.

Damn think won't go, won't even cough.. I haven't started it for quite a while, the only thing I've done to it since I last started it is add a chain guard, a centrestand, covered the seat and added a digital speedo. I'm suspecting the chain guard???

Timing is spot on, carbs were a little choked up with rust particles, because the tank sat dry for a few months and I wasn't running fuel filers., but the carbs are now clean and run through inline filters and it has a good spark. Valves have not been touched since I last started it, but I did check to make sure they were still operating.

Speedo is a digital and curiously there is continuity between power and earth wires and of course the coil sensor wire. This resulted in the LED timing light remaining on whether points were open or closed, but there was still spark. Once the speedo was disconnected the LED timing light behaved as it should, but still the bike won't even cough, even when fuel. Is injected through the mouth of the carbs.

So, the speedo is now disconnected, timing light is working as it should, timing checked over and over again, points cleaned and gap checked,, carbs spotless, spark at the plugs - not a cough!

Hardly a stock or standard XS, too many mods to list, I'd need a roll of toilet paper, but, they all worked previously. I've changed my mind, it couldn't possibly be the chain guard, I think it may be the seat cover, that was the last thing done.

I'll just go cut the seat cover off and try again.

Now, where did I leave those matches.

This looks like fire kindling, correct?
I think the bike is a belter! Great looking thing. Perseverance is needed here, just like my bike.
I've had umpteen setbacks with my machine; but have not given up on it.
keep going @toglhot you will succeed.

Back