It lives.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've been wrestling with this bike for a week or more now, damn thing just wouldn't start. Cleaned the points, timed it, stripped the carbs down a couple of times, checked the plugs, checked the valve clearances, Nope, not even a cough, so, gave it away a couple of days ago.

Last night I'm lying in my bed sleeping, dreaming about the damn bike, then it hit me, I don't remember seeing a condenser next to the coil. So, first thing this morning I went out to the workshop, removed the seat and tank - ah, huh, no condenser, no idea why I took it off. Mounted the condenser, hooked it up, pushed the starter button - vroom, vroom. But only on the right cylinder, aaargh!:

Checked the spark, yep, good spark, so off with the left carb - bone dry. Removed the float bowl, checked the operation of the float and needle, then put it back together, Nope, still starving. Fiddled around with it for an hour or so and finally traced the problem to a bent float slide (VM carbs). Straightened the slide, put it back together - vroom, vroom, both cylinders firing. Yippee!

Tomorrow I'll sync the carbs then push it out the front, see if I can throw a leg over it and hopefully ride it up to the corner without falling off, elbows are shot now.

Back