I don't understand people

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
not that that's much of a surprise.

Folks dropped off a Husqvarna push mower. 5 horse Honda, self propelled. Down on power, drive wheels flopping around like a wounded duck, drive belt slipping. "Make it all better, please."

Engine (a GCV - General Consumer Version vs the GX industrial model) is pooched, also no surprise. Barely enough compression to start and run, burning roughly as much oil as gas.

So I inform them that a rebuild is not even remotely cost efficient, a new engine is $300, new belt and wheel bearings is another $50-ish and labor will be roughly $150. So we're at $500 minimum, if everything goes right and I don't find anything else that needs attention.

The same exact mower, brand new, is...wait for it...$500.

They want me to fix it. I mean, it's not like it's an XS!

Fine by me, money for the Toy Fund

Tell them total bill is $600 total buy a new one and put the old cover on it
Make sure you wait a week so they think you slaved over it and they'll think your a genius for fixing it like brand new :laugh:
Hell tell them you threw in a new blade to boot
I know that's not how you roll but maybe it used to be grandpas mower ? :whistle:

Yes the world is full of strange people some weird people are trying to keep 40 -50 years old motorcycles running
My mother refused to use an electric alarm clock ,Cant hear when they stop she said -But they wont stop ---No No No
She wanted the spring driven ticking ones ---Never changed In all her life. Had her routine

Maybe save a buck or two on a new engine by using a horror freight Chinesium Honda clone motor? I've been impressed by the $100 6.5HP motor. Bought two, one for the wood splitter and one on a rear tine tiller. Starts second pull every year. Been running the wood splitter for several years now and still doesn't use any oil. I know they have the smaller lawn mower motors.

Maybe save a buck or two on a new engine by using a horror freight Chinesium Honda clone motor? I've been impressed by the $100 6.5HP motor. Bought two, one for the wood splitter and one on a rear tine tiller. Starts second pull every year. Been running the wood splitter for several years now and still doesn't use any oil. I know they have the smaller lawn mower motors.
I mentioned that and they were quite clear about wanting "genuine Honda parts". Even tho the GV series is a plastic cammed throw-away. Their money...

I have two Predator engines in service, one on a pressure washer, one on my Tim the Toolman More Power snowblower. Both have been absolutely flawless. The GV Honda on my pressure washer was a miserable sonofabitch to start from Day One. The Predator fires right up no matter how long it's been sitting.

Back