I got Gordon Scott drag pipes, are they going to brain busting loud???

pnedac

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi All fellow XSers,

I am in the middle of my second build and I purchased a set of Gordon Scott drag pipes. On my first build I had pretty short pipes and before I really finished the bike I had to get them extended and ended up putting glasspacks on, but these pipes are longer. They are also "finished" and by that I mean they appear not to need any other mods or anything. Are they going to be wake the neighbors loud or should I just say F&% it and let it rip? I like a loud bike, but I am not trying to get arrested here. Just asking if anyone else has these pipes and if they could let me know how they do sound wise.

Thanks,

Pat

Hahaha dude why did you order straights if noise was a concern?

That being said, I don't think XS twins are that loud.....not compared to a Harley anyway.

But yes, they're straight pipes. Yes, I can't leave my bike idling out front for more than a minute or two before I start worrying about waking people up.

Fair enough. I knew what I was getting when I got straight pipes of course. Like I said this is my second XS. The last time I has the glass packs because the super short pipes were extremely loud. These are longer, therefore they should be making it a bit less loud. I have a Victory and that beast is very LOUD, so I am pretty sure my XS will be less loud. I was just curious if they are out of hand or not. Certainly dont think they could be any louder than the Victory. Good looking out guys!

Fair enough. I knew what I was getting when I got straight pipes of course. Like I said this is my second XS. The last time I has the glass packs because the super short pipes were extremely loud. These are longer, therefore they should be making it a bit less loud. I have a Victory and that beast is very LOUD, so I am pretty sure my XS will be less loud. I was just curious if they are out of hand or not. Certainly dont think they could be any louder than the Victory. Good looking out guys!

Gordons drag pipes will scream if you make them...

At idle & low cruising, they sound great.. Mine produce a nice deep sound.

If Im accelerating quickly, then they are pretty loud. However, Its easily controlled by RPM & throttle position.

I can pass parked police cars & cruise thru neighborhoods without attracting attention. Just keep the RPMS low.

Length of the pipe isn't going to make much difference. Open pipes just aren't good for anything. Bad for performance, bad for neighbours, bad for getting hassled by cops.

I think I will give them a try just as they are. If I find that it is too much, I will adjust fire and do something about it, but I think they deserve to be loud. I have kind enough neighbors so they'll forgive me (on a daily basis). At any rate I still dont think they are going to be as loud as the Victory and no one, cops included, has hassled me for that.Trust me, you can hear that bike coming a mile away. Loud and proud. Also I thought my first XS was exsessively loud until I let my brother ride it and as he took off I really changed my mind about the volume. Thank you all for the insight. I want the bike to be loud, but we all have our limits. Cheers!

Have a set on my xs and they are no problem. Noise can be controled by throttle position. Mellow on idle and low rpm and will get much louder when you rev it but still no where near ear shattering. I installed a set of Lowbrow Customs brass ends and it quieted them down some. His pipes and products are well built and he is super great to deal with. Have bought 3 sets of pipes from him.

An old trick is to get some small hole chicken wire and scrunch it up into a tube so it slides up the pipes, the only trouble is it needs a nail through the end of the pipe to hold it in. Works great and quiet at low revs and sings when you open it up, have to replace every so often when it burns out though.

Snuff r nots. Back in 71 I got pulled over by the cops on my straight pipe 305 scrambler with snuff r nots. He looked it over and said why don't you turn these like this.... and let me go. Soon after that I put the muffler back on. I may be an asshole, but I don't have to advertise.

Snuff-or-Not%20Ad.jpg

I'm trying to upload a video now but I started my bike last night for the first time with the GS curved drag pipes. It's no where near as loud as my Sportster with open pipes. Sounds pretty good actually.

Back