I have a minor electrical glitch.....

LilMoney

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery voltage is 12.6v.
Bike idles fine,But is crap when idle goes up. When I pull the 20amp main fuse the problem goes away......HMMMMMMM..... Coil or timing ?:doh: I need to get a service manual..........

LilMoney,

If you are pulling the main fuse with the engine running, eventually you will fry everything because that disconnects the battery and the alternator is then free to run wild.

What is the year and model of your bike? I'm only guessing, but if you have a '80 to '83 model, then you have a bad TCI box or a weak magnet in the rotor.

If it is a '80 to '83 than try unplugging the reg/rect instead to test for a weak magnet or bad TCI box.

When posting for help, always include the year and model of your bike. Especially with electrical problems because the models are very different.

Sorry bout that... When I got the bike it had no main fuse in it. I never pull fuses when a bike is running..... The bike is a 80 to 83 model. I am gonna pick up one of your systems just to be done with it..... But it has to wait till our daughter is born ( less than a week).

LilMoney,

Well, I'll give a gift to you for your new daughter's baby shower. A PAMCO, a coil and wires and a set of plug caps as well as the three brass bushings you will need to install the advance rod! I don't have the advance mechanism and rod, but you can either buy those at MikesXS or maybe some member here will donate them in honor of your daughters birth.

Just PM me your address and it's on it's way!

LilMoney,

OK. It's on it's way. PAMCO, coil, wires, caps, bushings and a couple of Iridium plugs. All you need is the advance mechanism and the advance rod and you're in business.

Back