i have a welder question??

thatguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
It is possible to "convert" 110 to 220 using a transformer, but it is NOT viable for use in powering a welder for a couple of reasons.

First, you have a fixed amount of current available via your house wiring, determined by wire size and the breaker installed for a given circuit. Usually 15 or 20 amps. When you use a transformer to double the voltage, the current is halved (TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch), and the result is that it won't even come close to powering a welder.

Second, a transformer large enough to handle welding current would be HUGE physically, and seriously expensive.

Having an electrician run a 220v circuit from your breaker panel to wherever you want your welder outlet will be cheaper.

If you have a clothes dryer those run on 240. You can't run the welder and the dryer at the same time, of course, but it's an option. Also most water heaters run on 240. Again, can't run both at the same time etc. As far as adding an outlet etc, you don't want to be messing with 240 if you are not pretty familiar with it. It's possible to get bit by 100 and have nothing worse than a nasty shock but 240 will kill you FAST.

HF welders are hit and miss from what I have seen. IMHO, in your situation I'd save up some more $ and buy a Lincoln or Miller 110v unit. I have a 110v wire feed Lincoln that currently sells in the $400 price range new and can be converted to gas with a $99 kit and a bottle. It has been a great unit so far, I have welded all kinds of stuff with it ranging from 22 ga sheet to 3/8" plate, welded 1" diameter steering racks together, all kinds of stuff.

i was going to buy the 2 year replacement plan and then stop buy the local welding supply place to pick up a 75 25 argon mixture and some solid wire.

with getting the welder an auto darkening helmate the 2 year plan and the gas it was going to be under 500 bucks. a Lincoln or miller flux welder costs that mush buy them self.
also my dryer is located inside my house and is a pain in the ass to move out and unplug then plug in an extension cord.

i have a couple friends that are electrician apprentices so i will give them a call

so ive been looking around and stumbled upon the miller 140 mig auto-set welder... does any one have any experience/info on this one?
i already know what there website says but i am looking for actual people who have had first hand experience with this machine.
will it bee good enough to weld frames together. if i chose to go that rout?

has any one bought the davidbird's mig welding guide off of lowbrow?
reviews?
is it worth it?

my opinion is the Lincoln 180 mig is about the biggest bang for your buck i have one and really like it you gotta have 220v only way to go + gas no flux core.........

ok so i took your advise and bought a millermatic 140...
i took it home and am setting it up when i run in to a little snag...
the gas regulator is leaking a shit load of air form what looks to be this little release valve on the bottom of the regulator, is that normal?
did i f*ck it up?
or did i just get the only miller with a flaw?

Back