I just acted my age, and bought a sensible motorcycle...

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
As my dedicated 2-up touring bike, the Ducati ST2 still is out of action due to an unresolved oil pressure issue, I sort of convinced myself that I need a (temporary ?) replacement. And ended up buying a new 2023 Honda NC 750 X....By no means a pretty or exciting bike, but a very useful one. 750 cc, 2 cylinder, only 58 hp, but a lot of low end torque. Just over 60 inches wheelbase, so well suited for riding with a passenger. And an extremely handy luggage compartment where the fuel tank normally is. Add a comfortable riding position, superb fuel economy, fairly low weight, and a low purchase price, and you may see the attraction.

Wait...what? Acting your age? Is that a thing? Not on MY planet! :lmao::laugh:

Seriously tho, it's hard to go wrong with pretty much any Honda. I've seen a couple around here, they're not a bad looking bike, just a little uninspiring for those of use with a 16 year old throttle hand.
I actually rented an older NC750X on the Canary Islands last Christmas/ New Year, for a tour around Gran Canaria with my GF in the back. Those older models had a few hp less, and were also a bit heavier. But the low/ mid range pull was still good even with a passenger. This 23 model weighs around 210 kg with a full tank, so pretty close to an XS. So I am afraid it will easily walk away from a standard XS, and most likely keep up with almost all 750 kitted too.
In any case, this purchase was purely driven by cold logic. As in fuel economy, price, room for passenger, comfort and utility. I still plan to keep my "passion" bikes, including the XS, RD and the Ducati Monster 😁

ended up buying a new 2023 Honda NC 750 X..

Got a photo of your new bike? 🙂

I am actually a big fan of that bike! After I sold my XS’s and was looking for a modern replacement , that bike was on my short list. I tried to find one , but none were to be had at that time.
This was the one I wanted right here,
IMG_6459.jpeg

It has a similar riding position to my old Suzuki V Strom which was a great all around bike, but I think this Honda has a really great motor design that, as you said, gets phenomenal gas mileage and really good low end torque. I would still buy one in a heart beat. ❤️

Got a photo of your new bike? 🙂
Unfortunately no, it is being stored by the dealer in Oslo until May. And I am at work offshore in Nigeria...
I ended up with a gloss black bike, as both the red and the blue are flat/matte on the European 23 models. It was a package deal, 119 000 NOK, including Givi panniers and top case.
And now the first ride is less than 5 months away. I plan on doing the first 1000 km just randomly riding around in central southeastern Norway, then get the first service done, before a week or so of touring with my GF as pillion, in North Western Germany, Holland and maybe Denmark from mid May. onwards.

Unfortunately no, it is being stored by the dealer in Oslo until May. And I am at work offshore in Nigeria...
I ended up with a gloss black bike, as both the red and the blue are flat/matte on the European 23 models. It was a package deal, 119 000 NOK, including Givi panniers and top case.
And now the first ride is less than 5 months away. I plan on doing the first 1000 km just randomly riding around in central southeastern Norway, then get the first service done, before a week or so of touring with my GF as pillion, in North Western Germany, Holland and maybe Denmark from mid May. onwards.
Yes, I expect Nigeria is good this time of year. I’d rather roast than freeze any time. My most memorable days were freezing. I don’t much remember the times roasting, though I generally remember I roasted a bunch. I remember every detail about freezing. So much for my Scandinavian DNA.
Enjoy your new bike, (when it thaws out.)

Last edited:
It may have good fuel economy, good riding position and good power characteristics, but damn it is ugly. Is there an engine behind all,that plastic?

Sure is. In principle a half Honda Jazz 1.5 liter car engine. Undersquare, for a compact combustion chamber, giving efficient combustion and low fuel consumption (77 mm bore, 80 mm stroke). As you can see, the cylinders are closer to horizontal than vertical. This, and the unconventional frame, must be because they also make a scooter version...

Back