Ignitor box 81 xs650

kathycasto

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok i dont have spark on my 1981 Yamaha xs 650 I purchased this and it cranks over but will not start you get one spark when you let go of the key I hope someone can help me out and do you think i need to replace the ignitor box and coil and if so where do i find one for this bike

That one spark when you let go of the key is a good clue. Could be a bad ignitor but also very likely is low voltage to the ignitor not giving it the energy it needs to do it's job. The cure for that is electrical trouble shooting. A wire straight from a good fully charged battery to the ignitor should isolate the problem to poor connections somewhere or problems with the ignitor, coil, plug wires, or plugs. Always nice to do a two stroke tune up (buy new plugs). Since I am cheap and very anxious to hear the vroom vroom noise I clamp the spark plug in a vice and heat it with a torch, not mamby pamby warm it up, but HEAT it the ground strap should be glowing red, get the flame down around the insulator then vigorously wire brush it. Set the gap to what Yamaha recommends. While I have the plugs out I check compression.
PS do not crank the engine with a plug wire disconnected. Go grab a chunk of house wire get out about a 1.5' of bare ground wrap each end around a plug base and make sure the wire is in good contact with ground. Possible sources of low voltage are all the involved connectors wires and switches. keep us informed on how it goes. and yes needed parts are available, post in the classys here to find out who has them and how much they want. Unlike most ignitors the XS650 ignitor has some accessible replaceable parts, the how to is documented on this board.

ok We are not sure what the hell we even have this was made into a chopper and all i have is the number on the engine to figure out what i have but it is giving me one spark when i put the wire straigth to cdi it give one spark we are trying to figure this out for a freind of mine and it is becoming a night mare. it also looks like the stator and pickup coil is one piece

The pick up coil is the flattish black lump at the 1 o'clock position on the stator. it is held on by two screws. Has this bike ever run as it is now? There are two rotors used on the XS, points and electronic, the electronic rotor has a small magnet embedded on the flat face out near the edge. It is flush to the face of the rotor. That magnet going by is what the pick up senses to cause the spark. The two rotor types are otherwise interchangeable. I have not done this (yet) but I would assume you should be able to get a spark by passing any magnet by the face of the pick up.

ok it is getting great spark now just wont start it may be carbs. i dont know if this has ever ran they purchased it off the internet and we dont have a clue what it is all about i got the engine number and that is all and it says it is a xs 650 looks like someone made this into a chopper

here are pics of what the parts should look like.

xsparts 003.JPG

xsparts 004.JPG

search words
stator rotor tci picture pick up coil magnet electronic ignition

Last edited:
Got spark is good!
Go to the tech section from the link found at hte top of every page on this site to find a COMPLETE carb overhaul guide do that, and she is a runner if it has compression.

the bottom one is what it looks like thank you so much. well now we are going to try new plugs and starting fluid to see if that helps it any wE ARE LOST

I just have to ask.
So you are the wife/girlfriend and he is working on it?
Cause us guys would NEVER say "we are lost" We would say; the manual is wrong, they put it together wrong, Yamaha designed this bass ackwards, That isn't how Harley does it, but never WE are lost.

Back