Inline Fuse Holder Connections

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
When using these for a simplified wiring harness, what's the preferred way of connecting them? If I'm going to be using this for a ten amp fuse, it seems like a brittle solder connection between the 18 gauge in the wiring harness and the 12(?) gauge on the fuse holder could be problematic. And crimp splices are so... ugly. Advice?

NewFuseBox.jpg

Thanks,
Adam

Adam:

You have a couple of options.
1. They have the in-line fuse holders in (18) guage on Ebay. It makes for a cleaner connection when your not going from 18-12. Solder and shrink tubing does the trick.
2. I found this 4-gang fuse holder on Ebay also. What's different about this one compared to most, is that the wires come up from the underside vs out the sides. Just a cleaner look, imho.
full

Rich

The original main fuse on these bikes was a 20 amp. If you're only going to have one fuse for the entire bike, 10 amp may not be enough.

I would not use #18 gauge wire, even though the factory wiring used that gauge. I have seen the #18 gauge wire over heat and melt the insulation, causing a short circuit.

#16 gauge offers more of a safety margin, and less voltage drop in circuits such as the headlight.

I would not use #18 gauge wire, even though the factory wiring used that gauge. I have seen the #18 gauge wire over heat and melt the insulation, causing a short circuit.

#16 gauge offers more of a safety margin, and less voltage drop in circuits such as the headlight.

I'm not planning on running more than 10a through any of the 18 ga circuits. All inline fuses in the 18 ga circuits will be 10a.

Back