I've turned into a jaded XS snob..

ProSimex

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I went with my buddy to the local car/bike night near here, at meadowlands and merival. A few times a week all the car enthusiasts from around ottawa meet in this huge parking lot, everyone from the little souped up japanese cars, to the big american muscle cars. A lot of bikes there too. I wandered around looking at everything, and I realised I really didnt give a fuck about this stuff anymore. I woulda shit my pants looking at some of the nice old cars there just a few years ago:shrug:. I went and looked at some bikes and they are all either forgettable sport bikes, or eaqually forgettable cruisers. There was one that caught my eye. Hardtailed sportster, narrow and sleek looking, nice enough. But when i got closer all the chrome and billet they slapped on it turned me off.:doh:

Not one XS or vintage Jap/Brit bike.

I hung around and shot the shit with my buddy for a while. Imagine my relief when the wife messenged me asking me to come home as she was having problems with the baby.
I hopped on my bike, kicked it to life and heard the first good sounding exhaust note of the evening. Home I went:bike:

I felt like a bit of a dick to be honest, I was looking down my nose at 68 camaros.:wtf:

We have the same bike shows here. There was a tard with a zx7 with a 7inch lcd tv on it mounted to the tank. And it also had a hitch and trailer. Wtf. But there are some local guys that restore some awesome jap bikes. They have a few kawi 2 stroke triples and some honda dreams. I would like to see some more hardtails or cafes or vintage brit stuff.

I know what you mean by being jaded, I would walk away from a dozen custom Harleys or Chevy Camaros just to see one beautiful vintage bike. I prefer to think I'm more selective than jaded about what I like in my old age.

I found this old restored BSA at a swap meet in Toronto Ohio, it is a restoration of the first road bike I ever owned. A late 1940s BSA B33 500cc thumper. The old guy was kind enough to let me take a photo.

500ccBSAB33.jpg

There's a bike night at a brewery bar here and for a while it was a bright spot in my life twice a month. Old Brit bikes, vintage jap bikes modded an restored,Ducatis and BMWs new and old. Some nice REAL Indians (30's and 40's built) twins and inline 4's. Ridden in, not trailored. It's a real treat hearing these machine rumble in and later watch their owners crank them to life and ride off.

Ok look I was just using the 69 as an example. I would LOVE to have one, hope one day I can. I was just saying that it wasnt getting me all hot and bothered like it should have!

And cmyoch, damn you and your treat filled garage!

Yeah, Meadowlands and Merivale is a bit of a Ricer Heaven. I rolled through a few times, saw a couple of neat cars, but that was it. Any bikes there were hangar queens or non-descript sportbikes. Wheelsport had a nice vintage bike show a few months ago. A couple of nice bikes there.

all there was at the bike night over here was street bikes and harleys. good thing i drove my car. i start to wonder if theres some magic copy machine for bikes that everyone gets theirs from. i went in, bought what i needed and left. all the guys in leather vests were just standing around waiting to win a free set of tires. is it just me or does anyone else think a leather vest and a street bike doesnt go together? blah blah blah...

We have a small start up chapter of the VJMC we are trying to get going. Meet once a month. A couple new guys showed up this week with some cool rides. A nice tracker too.
XStracker.jpg

BMWR90.jpg

Vmax.jpg

Yeah, I've turned into a snob too. Here in the rust-belt, there's an attitude "It's Harley or it's crap" and it drives me crazy. A couple of years ago I entered my bobber into a small bike show. Mind you my bobber (except the welding and powder coat) is 100% custom built/rebuilt by me from the rubber up. It's got just about every performance trick in the book. I lost to a 100% stock Harley with an airbrush paint job and some bolt on chrome. What's the point :banghead:

Now I focus on the vintage shows and ogle at the bigger shows. So few people have the sophisticated taste I have for vintage bikes and REAL customs. Those who really know bikes know what gems my XSs are.

great pix from a phone. where in the hell is dick tracy now. I wish i still had the 66 mustang.i still love them old cars old bikes old friends and young women in bikinis:thumbsup:

Back