latest 'update' info on Chop-Sooo-ey.

madjap

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, the 72 chop project has been a little neglected but I FINALLY got around to a re-jet of my BS34 carbs and after some tinkering got it running. Took it out with the mufflers I bought on this forum and I'll be damned if it didn't run and start perfect EXCEPT at W.O.T. near redline, then it would fall flat and sputter and miss. So, I took a chance and put on my homemade mufflers (32 inch long, 2 1/4 inch electrical conduit with home made baffles). Took it out, WHAM revs clean and clear and strong all the way thru! Olllllll' Chop-Sooo-ey now runs, starts and seems to be on track! AND for all you 'I hate hardtails' guys, it rides SURPRISINGLY nice and doesn't make my back or butt hurt after a half mile or so! I guess that 6 inch stretched hardtail and raked front makes some 'ride' difference when compared to my shorter XS650 chop years back. At any rate, when snow flies it'll be teardown final finish! Wish me luck...! madjap

Hi madjap,
videos of your bike's bars from a camera stuck to your helmet don't show too much of the bike. You are supposed to get video'd by a helper as you snarl by, eh?
BTW, I'm NOT a hardtail hater, I rode rigid framed bikes back in the day.
It's that I reckon anyone who hardtails a bike that has rear suspension is either self-deluded about comfort, someone creating a work of art, a poseur or a masochist.

It's that I reckon anyone who hardtails a bike that has rear suspension is either self-deluded about comfort, someone creating a work of art, a poseur or a masochist.

what would they be posing as, exactly? in my
opinion, if you like something and make what you want, what else is there to explain? is there an intermediate step to overcome poser-hood that we don't know about?

FREEEEEED...! You KNOW I'm self deluded and sometimes even self DILUTED! I'm no masochist, I just really like the way a hardtail handles and looks. No way will it 'out' handle a suspension bike, right? I didn't think so until I watched my older brother ride my old hardtail CB750 thru Custer state park and Needles Highway (googlemap it if you're bored and want a perspective! Pigtails at 10 and 15 mph, single lane tunnels, ups n downs). I was on a big old stock 1600 roadstar and my two buddies were on a Honda VFR1000(?) and a bare bones Honda Valkyrie. We absolutely could NOT keep up with him! Could NOT and I shit you not, my two buddies could absolutely RIDE. They were both ASTONISHED at the handling for that old chopper. CB750, Amen hardtail, solid legged, narrow SPRINGER about 8" over with a king n queen seat, broomstick handlebar. I will admit tho, that this was likely a anomaly and NOT the norm. BUT I really DO like the feel of a hardtail and REALLY like the looks. I might try to get a little video of ripping it up on that thing, never thought about it before, but you've piqued my curiosity!

Ok, googled it and 87 does look like fun.
It really is...! ESPECIALLY if you get there before or after heavy traffic. You can stop and see some gorgeous views of the Hills and then scare yourself shitless! If you ever decide to take the 'I'm goin' to Sturgis' route, take that ride in...

Hi buzz, poseur is a shortform way to say some guy who wants to be mistaken for Peter Fonda or perhaps Marlon Brando.
And madjap, I'd say your brother's riding skills overcame your CB750's handling problems.
If he'd been riding a featherbed Norton he'd have done better yet.

...poseur is a shortform way to say some guy who wants to be mistaken for Peter Fonda ...

Well, that pretty much covers the racers and trackers here...

Fonda.jpg

Back