Lord help me..

Godric

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been dailying my xs all summer cause someone totalled my jeep. It's been running great after a fresh rebuild for months, but the other day I was riding and it seemed like the carbs were clogged at first cause it started backfiring and lagging a lot out of no where. Now I can't get it to idle right. I've been into for 2 full days and am perplexed. Clearances are good, carbs are clean, cam adjuster is good... I took the plugs out and found absolute filth in the cylinders, on the piston heads. There's a clacking sound when I kick over hard. If I roll it over with a wrench on the stator slowly there's no clacking. I'm at my wits ends, any thoughts?

Hey guys. I've been dailying my xs all summer cause someone totalled my jeep. It's been running great after a fresh rebuild for months, but the other day I was riding and it seemed like the carbs were clogged at first cause it started backfiring and lagging a lot out of no where. Now I can't get it to idle right. I've been into for 2 full days and am perplexed. Clearances are good, carbs are clean, cam adjuster is good... I took the plugs out and found absolute filth in the cylinders, on the piston heads. There's a clacking sound when I kick over hard. If I roll it over with a wrench on the stator slowly there's no clacking. I'm at my wits ends, any thoughts?
Also it'll still ride, but I gotta gas it pretty hard below ~3500rpm

I’ll add a couple of items to look at

( if points as mentioned above…points gap)

Condenser?

Check your grounds are good

Battery/ charging? Is there enough to run it at higher rpm? But not enough juice at lower?

Carbs tight ? Manifolds not cracked / leaking ?

Clacking could be just the kicker cycling, but a compression test would tell a story as well

started backfiring and lagging a lot out of no where.
If an OEM TCI ignition (instead of points) it could be low voltage from the battery or it could be the begining of the Igniter Unit going bad. If voltage is good at the coil, might try replacing the igniter with a known good one (to test) or search here in Tech for Gonzo replacement.

That doesn't explain the "clacking" though:shrug:

I recently plugged in a Gonzo ignition to see if it worked. Like a dream so I forgot about it rattling around in the tool pouch tube, unsecured. It either rattled itself to death or just failed because 3 weeks later I had the same symptoms as you seem to have. Next time I install the Gonzo I will secure it firmly.

I recently plugged in a Gonzo ignition to see if it worked. Like a dream so I forgot about it rattling around in the tool pouch tube, unsecured. It either rattled itself to death or just failed because 3 weeks later I had the same symptoms as you seem to have. Next time I install the Gonzo I will secure it firmly.
I have the same problem @Kevin Werner. My Gonzo ran great for two 30 - 50 mile rides over a period of two weeks. Now its a bag of :poo: again.

Jim recommends turning off and back on (reboot) to possibly clear the issue; Chineesium product are iffy at best. I will try that today after checking all grounds & connections are good.

Back