New "clanking" sound - cam tension?

Godric

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, I've been having trouble with my 81 tci stock xs. Been riding around all summer with little issue and now I took it on a longer ride (50+ miles) and it started choking out and acting like a carb was clogged. So I went through the carbs, checked my clearances, adjusted cam tensioner, put a fresh charge on the newer battery and it sounds like trash. The cam tensioner doesn't go in and out like it used to, when I was adjusting it it had very little to and fro action, not nearly as much as I remember. New chain guide less than 1k, including full top end gaskets and lapped valves. There was no visible wear on the camshaft or lobes when I was in there, no scoring of the cylinders and I installed new rings. Compression seems good, although I don't have a tester. But listen to the video and tell me what you think this god awful noise is coming from! Thanks guys, y'all be safe out there 🙏

Video link

Raymond

likes to play with old motorbikes
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hi @Godric, it don't sound too good but the video was too short for me to hear where that rattle is coming from. You could try the screwdriver/stethoscope trick - ear against a long screwdriver to listen to parts of the engine - it's amazing how that can narrow down where a noise originates.

Jan_P

Tool Owner
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it is short For thinking out loud Con rod bearings or crankshaft bearing
But please listen as Raymond suggest screwdriver/stethoscope trick

Jan_P

Tool Owner
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I would start investigating that

The cam tensioner doesn't go in and out like it used to, when I was adjusting it it had very little to and fro action, not nearly as much as I remember. New chain guide less than 1k

I believe it can be taken out for inspection --- please check in service manual