MAC 2 into 1

mseriously

Newb
Reaction score
Looking for some input here. I started in on my bike with VM34's and a MAC 2 into 1 with a Hoos Racing Muffler/Baffle. It ran okay, but, not great. It coughed and sputtered a bit and didn't have any low end grunt. Crack it open and after a bit it seemed to just take off when it hit the upper rpm's though...pulled pretty hard.

After some carb cleaning and a little tinkering I discovered that the throttle cable was uneven and one of the carb plungers was pulling up full, while the left side plunger was pulling up half way when full throttle. So one side of the throttle cable was longer than the other. Fixed that and it ran great, still no low end though.

Bout that time I came onto the EX500 carbs thread. Went that route and blammo it made a huge difference. So now I'm running the same set up of the MAC and baffle and the EX500 carbs with JJJ/138/38. Low end grunt and torque galore. Snappy off the line. Problem is I don't have much high end juice now. I've changed all settings of the carbs to no avail...back to original set up carb wise and the plugs aren't fouled, look a good golden brown-ish grey...about 5 bucks fills up the tank and I figure I get about 35/45 mpg depending on how hard I am on it.

So I'm wondering if the culprit is the exhaust? Would a 2-2 system solve some of those issues? I seem to remember some folks here talking about the MAC 2into1 being problematic for mid/upper rpms. Just wondering if I'm tracking down the demons in the right order...sometimes it's one link in the chain that will make it all roll together.

Back