Many Single Output Green Monster Coil Questions

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
I have a bunch of questions about this coil as I think mine is blown. Was running just fine cruising down the road then clunk. Was only running on one cylinder. I pulled the plug wire from the left side and the bike ran the exact same. So, that told me it was dead. Friend tried to test the spark by sticking a screw driver inside the plug cap while the motor was running to see if it would ground to the block.....no spark. I looked at all the wiring and the fuses and all was good. No blown fuses or loose wires.

So I am down to two things, the spark plug wire or the coil. Rather than wait and not figure it out, I want to try and get a replacement coil ASAP. Run this weekend that I wouldn't mind making and having a backup coil isn't a terrible thing if I find out its something else.

1. Where can I buy a replacement and have it shipped ASAP? (Mikes doesn't seem to sell singles and looking to go on a run sooner than later)
  2. Is there another coil that is the same shape/output that I could replace the green monster with? (possibly available online)
  3. Best way to test these coils with a crappy harbor freight multimeter?

To test a single output coil is to test the ohms between the primary wires and the primary wires and ground. From the plug wire terminal and ground and from the primary side to the plug wire terminal.
Do these and report what you find.
The meter weither a crappy harbor frieght or a $100 one the procedures are the same. Before testing low ohms touch the probes together. This give you the ohms of just the leads. Write this down unless you can remeber it. Any testing of a low ohm item you need to subtract this from the meter reading.
As in when tersting the stator white wires. You touch the probes and get a .7 ohm reading. Test your wires, you get a 1.3 ohm reading. Subtract the .7 from 1.3 you get .6 ohms.
Use this method to measure any thing under about 25 ohms. Above that it won't matter much.
Leo

To test a single output coil is to test the ohms between the primary wires and the primary wires and ground. From the plug wire terminal and ground and from the primary side to the plug wire terminal.
Do these and report what you find.
The meter weither a crappy harbor frieght or a $100 one the procedures are the same. Before testing low ohms touch the probes together. This give you the ohms of just the leads. Write this down unless you can remeber it. Any testing of a low ohm item you need to subtract this from the meter reading.
As in when tersting the stator white wires. You touch the probes and get a .7 ohm reading. Test your wires, you get a 1.3 ohm reading. Subtract the .7 from 1.3 you get .6 ohms.
Use this method to measure any thing under about 25 ohms. Above that it won't matter much.
Leo

Perfect! Exactly what I needed. Thanks Leo!

Back