My build thread

Couple of updates.

I received most of my top end parts yesterday from 650 Central.

2 questions

1) MMM told me that his base gaskets are not auto sealing and DO require sealant. I am supposed to use gasgacinch or yamabond? He told me and I up and forgot.

2) On the head gasket I use yamabond?

3) On the rockerbox I use yamabond?

All I am waiting on now is a camchain and I am good to go.

I've been doing a lot of wet sanding and polishing. When I finish the clutch side cover I'll post some more pics.

Adam

Hey everyone,

Sorry for not posting in a bit. I'm going to start the rebuild first thing tomrorrow morning. I have all my parts and I think I have all of the knowledge that I need. I'm sure I'll have questions though and I'll make sure to post them here.

Adam

good luck Adam ...

I have been dying to start mine this past 2x weeks my back has stopped me doing anything.
I've had all the new seals and gaskets and the cases and parts laid out in my conservatory for 2x weeks now and unable to do anything.:(

Not having built one of these before , my biggest worry is to bolt the cases together and then find later on that I've left some vital spring, seal ,gasket or other part out and have to strip it down again.

One question.

I have the Vesra Gasket set for MMM. Please confirm

1) I put gascacintch on both sides of base gasket.
2) I put yamabond between head and rockerbox
3) I put yamabond on selected areas of head gasket. (there is a picture somwhere on this forum I will dig up).

Can someone give me an idea of how much to use?

Adam

MMmmm since replying I've done a bit of reading and it seems that many engine builder do not recommend using gasket cement with a gasket unless there are gouges, scratches or other imperfections in the mating surfaces .
Heres a sensible guide here http://www.dansmc.com/gaskets.htm

I have just ordered up some Yamabond but I imagine Red hermetite does essentially the same job.

Good luck I shall be starting mine tomorrow.

have you seen Minton's step by step engine rebuild guide ?

Ok. Lots of new updates.

I have all my parts laid out on my work bench ready for the install. I think once I start the install it really shouldn't take too long because of this preparation. I've taken a bunch of photos. Here they are.

This is a shot of my work shed. Its a panoramic from an iPhone, hopefully it isn't distorted on the forum.
12.jpg

Next up is a shot of the motor before I put on the jugs. What do you say about the gasket surface? Is it clean enough?

photo 3.jpg

Here is a shot of the RHS and LHS covers.
8.jpg

10.jpg

Here is a picture of the old and new cam chains. I attached them together and pulled the new one through so I didn't have to split the cases.
photo 5.jpg

Ok. Got a question before I button everything up.

The o-rings which go into the cylinder sleeves (at the base of the jugs) are preventing the base gasket from lying perfectly flight. Should I push the o-ring deep into the groove so that the base gasket lies flat?

Adam

Hey everyone,

Finished the engine assembly last night. Everything went pretty smoothly. I have a bunch of pictures of the finished engine.

I took about an hour today to polish the valve tappet covers. I used 320Grigt, then 400Grit sandpaper then I moved onto a siral wheel with tripoli compound and finally a denim wheel with jewlers rouge. I did this quickly and I am happy with the results. It isn't a mirror finish by any means but it looks clean.

I haven't put on the side covers yet. I have them sanded down to 400 grit paper and I'll probably do another round at 600 Grit then move onto polishing those as well.

All I have to do now is put the engine in the frame, do some re-wiring, and weldon on a license plate holder, rear turn signal mounts, and metal battery box and I should be good to go.

photo 2.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 8.jpg

photo 6.jpg

Adam

Hey everyone,

Now that the engine is buttoned up I am working on the stance/look. I am going for a hardcore minimal cafe

So far I have:

1) grinded off unnecessary tabs, brackets, etc.
2) removed rear passenger foot pegs
3) cleaned up handle bars
4) procurred xs750 gas tank
5) purchased custom low profile seat
6) Purchased 38T rear sprocket

I am considering removing the center stand but I'm not sure yet. It sure is convenient.

My question for everyone tonight is how to raise up the back end of the bike. From the pictures you can see that the seat is not exactly parallel to the ground and the back end is sitting lower. What are my options?

1) Longer shocks to raise up back end?2
2) Lower front end to make seat parallel?
3) Purchase larger rear wheel?

Any advice would be appreciated. Here are the pics.

Also, if anyone has a 16T front sprocket they are willing to sell please let me know.

photo 1.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg

photo 8.jpg

Hey everyone,

Finished the engine assembly last night. Everything went pretty smoothly. I have a bunch of pictures of the finished engine.

I took about an hour today to polish the valve tappet covers. I used 320Grigt, then 400Grit sandpaper then I moved onto a siral wheel with tripoli compound and finally a denim wheel with jewlers rouge. I did this quickly and I am happy with the results. It isn't a mirror finish by any means but it looks clean.

I haven't put on the side covers yet. I have them sanded down to 400 grit paper and I'll probably do another round at 600 Grit then move onto polishing those as well.

All I have to do now is put the engine in the frame, do some re-wiring, and weldon on a license plate holder, rear turn signal mounts, and metal battery box and I should be good to go.

Adam

looking good Adam.:thumbsup: not long now and you'll be pressing that start button:D

I've been held up on my build by stupid little things like no gasket cement and wrong seals being delivered and couldn't find a rotor extractor etc but final seals arrived this morning so it go go go :thumbsup:

Fitting a larger wheel would alter the gearing of course and effect acceleration and top speed but I guess you can compensate by altering the sprockets which you are doing anyway.
Theres an excellent table somewhere I've seen (probably Mikesxs) giving all the variations of wheel diameters and sprocket combos.

I suppose you can't fabricate a bracket extension to level the seat ?

have you settled on a paint scheme for your 750 tank yet ?

Last edited:
Ok. So longer shocks seem to be the way to go.

Here is something else to consider. I plan at some point in the future to do replace my front end with that of a modern sports bike (GSXR or R1). Is it true that those forks are generally shorter? (because of a steeper rake) I'm thinking I should wait on rear shocks until I install new front end then re-asses.

Adam

I haven't settled on a paint scheme yet. I will actually leave it like it is for now. I think next winter I'll get the frame powder coated and paint the tank but for this winter I just want to ride it. I live in the south and I can ride with gloves and a jacket pretty much all year round.

I could maybe fab up a bracket for the seat (i just got a stick welder) but I'd rather not. I think I'll go with longer shocks. Or maybe, when I add a gsxr front end it wont be necessary because it is shorter than the stock front end.

I put the engine back in the frame yesterday. Here is a pic as the bike currently sits.

It is hidden by the gas tank but I've started on my own custom wiring harness. It is going to include headlight, turn signals, horn, regulator, ignition, and charging. Everything is going to be as minimal as possible. I got the chopper wiring harness from TCBros for the alternator and ignition wiring and everything else is being done by me.

I'll post some pics of the wiring job a bit later.

photo.jpg

Adam

Back