XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
once we get the carbs dialed in
we traveling...LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-06-21 23-59-12.png
    Screenshot from 2021-06-21 23-59-12.png
    495.6 KB · Views: 107
.... memories..... the front mounted tool bag stirred the grey matter.... many years ago.. a group of us.. rip'n over to middle of cheeseland.. aka Wisconsin, for a camp'n adventure. My buddy, Joe... on his 71' Triumph 650.... if you recall the front fender was held in place with metal rods. He had a tool bag mounted under the headlight.... we'r all rolling along.. 50-55 mph... and ahead.. railroad tracks...... Joe hit the tracks and a second later... he slammed the asphalt... him and the bike sliding on its side.... everyone stops... help's Joe up... he's shake'n but ok.. we check his bike.... we discovered that, when he hit the railroad tracks.... the front forks.. bottomed out... pressing the tool bag against the headlight.. this forced the front fender to press downward against the tire... this turned into a crude but effective " brake "... enough to not only stop the bike but to blister the paint from the generated heat.

Limited air flow to cool the engine would be the concern with the tools in front...which brings to mind adding an oil cooler in front of the engine, would the air flow restriction heat the engine to where the cooler would bring it back down to normal operating temps.....just musing.

I have been racking my brain as to why im running a little hot if its the bag...OMG LOL

Tool bags on the front are old school cool.
Yamamama found a place under the seat to store tools and supplied the tools to showroom bikes....kinda a treat to find the package intact on some of these bikes considering the years and hands they've gone through.

The wife bought me a tool bag as a gift some years ago. To use it was akin to the dilemma of wearing that nasty, itchy wool sweater grandma made you to the next family get together in July to show her the appreciation.....or not.

I have been racking my brain as to why im running a little hot if its the bag
It's not. However, put the tools in a saddlebag. Poke little holes in the back of the tool bag and fill the bag with ice. Melting ice will provide a cooling mist on the cylinders.

I'd be more concerned with the fender bashing into the bag on every bump you hit. Your fork has almost 6" of travel so it might even push the bag all the way up into the bottom of the headlight, lol. I'd get rid of it and get a small magnetic tank bag instead.

Back