My first XS650! Looking for feedback on my purchase.

heritagespecial

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

And thanks for any and all warm welcomes to the forum! I have been riding for a few years, not many. I've had a couple bikes (Honda Rebel, Suzuki 650). I do a significant amount or work on my car so I am open and willing to do work on my XS650.
I am mostly wondering if I got a good deal on this bike.
SO.... on to the bike. I bought it for $550. It was in a neighbors garage and they were looking to get rid of it. It has a little over 5000 miles and it is in PRISTINE condition. Black, no rips in the seat, no scrapes, no rust! Paint looks impeccable. (Will post pictures when I get the chance) I mean, I don't have a ton of experience with older bikes but I'm thoroughly surprised at the condition of this bike. It was well maintained by an older gentleman who has had many bikes. This thing was babied. It hadn't been started over the winter... I went to look at it and it fired right up using the kick start. No problems or random sounds, drives very well. It has new tires, an even and steady idle, the whole shabang. Lights all function, etc. (I even got a loading ramp, windshield, spare oil filters, a throttle cable, and a few other spare parts) So, was this a good deal? I feel like I got an amazing deal. I honestly bought it on a whim. I'm just young and broke so when I saw a well maintained bike for a cheap price I jumped on it. Then I logged online and researched Xj's and Xs's and found this forum and you guys seem to love em *nudge nudge wink wink* and I'm SO PUMPED! The only caveat is that the start button doesn't work. Will that be hard to fix?? OH and also, it's a Heritage Special. Not sure if that's really important or is a distinguishing factor. Please let me know if that means anything.
Thank you in advance for your understanding of my excited/possibly annoying rant.

Last edited:
Wow. Deffinatly throw pics up.msounds too good to be true.mis it charging the battery? A quick is if the headlight brighten when u rev it, its charging. But this quick check isnt the entire check. Charging system could be overcharging, boiling the battery. But sounds like a good bike though. Prepare to get to know your bike. Adjust the cam chain, then valves. Use the search function

Yes, you got a good deal. The Heritage Special is just a name. It is just what they called the Special that year.
I might recommend reading up on these bikes in the XS650 TECH section. There is a sub section on Getting to know your bike.
It talks about things to look for when buying. It links to threads on all sorts of things.
Read the rest of the TECH section, won't hurt.
On the start button it could be several things, if it was an older bike it could be bad connections in the switch, wiring poor grounds, bad push button and a few others.
The newer bikes like yours you can add a bunch of safety gear that was added. Switches and relays that only ;let it work under certain circumstances and kill the ignition in others.
Search start issues, start button won't work, might find your problem.
Being a bit of a mechanic I assume you know how to use a multi-meter. If not the XS650 will be a good learning ground.
Leo

You need to determine the age of the tires.
They may have plenty of tread, but if they're more than ~5 years old you really should replace them. There are date codes on the tires that will tell you when they were manufactured.
And congrats on your purchase! Sounds like you got a great deal. :)

Heritage Special, Either '82 or '83, black or Ruby Red.
If its in the condition that you describe keep her that way and start winning at antique MC shows!
5k on the clock so she's just broke in, perfect.
Get a manual and do some general maintenance. Plenty of issues that can occur but I'm of the mindset that if it ain't broke etc.....as sometimes you can create a problem looking for ones that aren't.
Welcome to the forum!
Pics please!

Welcome Heritagespecial,

Sounds like a great buy, not only the price but the condition of the bike also. 82/83 are the US heritage Specials then production stopped. 82 was a black bike, Black chrome, about the only thing not black was the exhausts and engine side-covers and tappet covers.

Check your ID HERE

Back