Bought my first cafe (XS650 1974)

kevenc

XS650 Member
Reaction score
1712516211230.png

Hello guys, figured out I'd join this forum since I'll be working on this project from now on. I have absolutely no clue about mechanic, so my goal is to learn and master this bike in and out. I'll be moving soon in a house with a garage so that will be best for me to work on it.

Tried it yesterday for the first time it ran amazing, the seller started it in front of me effortlessly with the kickstart. I tried it this morning, turned the power on, petcock on, choke on and I can't even start it today. Ughh, I'm located in Canada so it can be real cold here.

Oh well, it will be an adventure for sure!

Last edited:
View attachment 322794

Hello guys, figured out I'd join this forum since I'll be working on this project from now on. I have absolutely no clue about mechanic, so my goal is to learn and master this bike in and out. I'll be moving soon in a house with a garage so that will be best for me to work on it.

Tried it yesterday for the first time it ran amazing, the seller started it in front of me effortlessly with the kickstart. I tried it this morning, turned the power on, petcock on, choke on and I can't even start it today. Ughh, I'm located in Canada so it can be real cold here.

Oh well, it will be an adventure for sure!
Welcome @ kevenec
Nice looking ride. I’m sure it will be rewarding to own.
Any help required is willingly given here.
Looking forward to the journey.
Ads.

I find it easier to kick if I'm on the bike rather than standing next to it. That being said, these are rather cold blooded so need the choke for cold starts even in warm weather. You won't need to leave it on long in warm weather, but the motor does need that initial rich mix for a cold start. Also, your aftermarket carbs have individual chokes, one on each carb. You will probably have to turn them both on.

I find it easier to kick if I'm on the bike rather than standing next to it. That being said, these are rather cold blooded so need the choke for cold starts even in warm weather. You won't need to leave it on long in warm weather, but the motor does need that initial rich mix for a cold start. Also, your aftermarket carbs have individual chokes, one on each carb. You will probably have to turn them both on.
A shame the centre stand is amongst the bits removed. I think it's much easier (and safer on your ankle) to kick start the machine stood on the bike with it on it's centre stand.

Thanks for the reply, both chokes were on. I've also tried on the bike but to no avail either :(

OK, well my "routine" is a couple of kicks with the choke on, no throttle, then I flip the choke off and give it a couple kicks with the throttle cracked open a hair. If no start then back to choke on, no throttle. If it doesn't start within 15 to 20 kicks, I'd pull the plugs and see if they're fouled (wet with gas).

Pull the plugs… see if they are wet.

Make sure you don’t have a run/stop switch flipped to the stop position.

Make sure you still have a good battery (didn’t leave the key on). Won’t start with a dead battery.

And on the note of good battery - if it’s got an aftermarket electronic ignition and you’ve left the key on by accident for an extended period of time 15+mins there is a decent chance you’ve fried it.

Does it have an electric start?

Last edited:
Just watched your video, and I note the bike did not even pop, although compression looks good. It must have some kind of small battery there somewhere, you want to make sure that is solid for sure.

I have a '74 TX650 and a '77 XS650. They both start differently but the same, if that makes sense. If I haven't run it for awhile, I usually do a couple of kicks with the key off, gas on, and full choke. Then key on, and kick. For some reason the '74 wants just a bit more throttle/fuel sometimes, where the '77 is fine without. The '77 has the OEM carb setup, but the '74 has '77 carbs on it (I wanted the linked setup), so that actually doesn't make that much sense, even to me :)umm:)!
With aftermarket carbs you'll probably need to experiment to see what it needs. Can you contact the seller and ask about his technique? Embarrassing maybe but maybe you missed a step he did in the excitement of viewing?

Last edited:
Just watched your video, and I note the bike did not even pop, although compression looks good. It must have some kind of small battery there somewhere, you want to make sure that is solid for sure.

I have a '74 TX650 and a '77 XS650. They both start differently but the same, if that makes sense. If I haven't run it for awhile, I usually do a couple of kicks with the key off, gas on, and full choke. Then key on, and kick. For some reason the '74 wants just a bit more throttle/fuel sometimes, where the '77 is fine without. The '77 has the OEM carb setup, but the '74 has '77 carbs on it (I wanted the linked setup), so that actually doesn't make that much sense, even to me :)umm:)!
With aftermarket carbs you'll probably need to experiment to see what it needs. Can you contact the seller and ask about his technique? Embarrassing maybe but maybe you missed a step he did in the excitement of viewing?

Thanks for your reply, I am still in contact with him. He says that he opens a bit on the throttle and usually it takes him inbetween 1-3 kicks to get it started. I haven't been able to start it since I bought it and tried it. I haven't skipped a step it's pretty straightforward and showed him. Open ignition, Petcocks on, chokes on and kick!

I have been trying to start it a lot since, I might've flooded it, so I did let it alone overnight retried this morning, temperature is good outside and yet I can't start it. He says I might've killed the battery since I tried starting it with the electric start but to no avail either. He told me to retry after charging the battery.

My 75' Cold engine has always been full choke no ignition two kicks to prime
flip the switch and one kick to fire.
Bump it to your compression stroke on every kick.
Straddle it and you'll be able to give it more ass. (don't lock your knee)
And yes a good battery is a must.
The bluing on the pipes make me think she's running lean or timing's off, or at one time was.
Could be your bother.
Good looking bike! I'm sure it'll be figured out.

Good news, I'm back from it's first official ride :D

While I was checking that the spark plugs were fine, I saw that one of the gas hose to the carburator was "stuck" (I'm not sure if it's the right word but, it was blocking the gas flow). Also, I figured that my battery was most likely dead, because I tried to start it with the electrical but it only made a faint noise. So I tried it with the booster and BAM it started.

I also managed to restart it with the Kickstart, but it scared the shit out of me because it kicked back pretty hard on the first try, and I feel like I could actually break my leg if I'm not careful hahah

Thank you so much everyone that replied, it's amazing to see a community like this!

Back