New to the Forum

I uses a pressure washer to clean sometimes but with the engine off. It creates just enough pressure to rinse well without causing any damage.

I'll go as far as a run of the mill garden hose to wash a bike... but I'll follow that with copious amounts of shop air from a blowgun.

... a "blow dry." :laugh2:
Everytime I saw the sponge monkey's (detailers) at the dealership using a pressure washer in an engine bay, I always thought, "I pity the poor clueless bastard that buys this car".

I was having an issue with cheap bottle brushes for getting inside the fins. They always seemed to flatten out and become more of a gouge. I bought a cheap pistol cleaning kit. The brushes hold up much better and I can change the size per nook and cranny.

I was PMing with another member about bike seats and was telling him a story that I though I'd share with the rest of you..
From part of my PM....
When I was a young man, I'd love to take a good looking girl for a ride just for that reason. Although, once it almost had tragic results. The first time I took this one girl for a ride, she let go from holding me around me waist and held on to my upper arms. Since you're holding on to the handlebars, any pressure on the arms means you change directions and she almost caused an accident.
I really got scared once when I broke a clutch cable upon arriving at a restaurant. When we left, she got on first, then I put it in neutral, ran along side the bike, jumped on and dropped it into first gear. With no clutch to soften the engagement, there was an initial jerk forward as the engine began to pull the bike. But at least we were moving in gear. I glanced back over my shoulder to see how she was doing and didn't see her!!!!! I though she went off the back of the bike but when I twisted my body around to get another look, she was still holding on with her legs but was stretched out over the back of the bike almost on the back fender. I had to reach back and puller her back to a sitting position. For a second I thought I'd lost her. We made it back to the house without having to come to a complete stop.......Frankie

I was PMing with another member about bike seats and was telling him a story that I though I'd share with the rest of you..
From part of my PM....
When I was a young man, I'd love to take a good looking girl for a ride just for that reason. Although, once it almost had tragic results. The first time I took this one girl for a ride, she let go from holding me around me waist and held on to my upper arms. Since you're holding on to the handlebars, any pressure on the arms means you change directions and she almost caused an accident.
I really got scared once when I broke a clutch cable upon arriving at a restaurant. When we left, she got on first, then I put it in neutral, ran along side the bike, jumped on and dropped it into first gear. With no clutch to soften the engagement, there was an initial jerk forward as the engine began to pull the bike. But at least we were moving in gear. I glanced back over my shoulder to see how she was doing and didn't see her!!!!! I though she went off the back of the bike but when I twisted my body around to get another look, she was still holding on with her legs but was stretched out over the back of the bike almost on the back fender. I had to reach back and puller her back to a sitting position. For a second I thought I'd lost her. We made it back to the house without having to come to a complete stop.......Frankie
And she became Mrs Henry ?

Flying out to NV tomorrow to pick up a Honda Civic Del Sol '95. I used to own one years ago and really loved it. This one's an automatic instead of a stick. Have to drive it back to Jersey, a little over 2500 miles. Give you a picture when I get back...........Frankie
You will miss the Smokies Rally if you are busy messing around with a H ah H ah H ah hooonda!

As we enter our senile years, we grasp onto that which gave us joy in our youth, XS650s and apparently Honda Del Sols. 😀
Got back the night before last with the car. It ran great!!! 2600 miles over 4 days. Some of the most beautiful countryside I've ever seen in Utah on Interstate 15. Very happy with the 95 Del Sol..................Frankie I'll post some video later.

I hate to tell you this. Before I get to "this". first let me say that I've been very busy lately and haven't done much with the bike. One of the reasons is that I ordered cleaning tools for carbs and they just came in yesterday. So that's why I haven't started on the carbs yet. In a previous post I told all of you that I bought a car on line and flew out to Las Vegas (Henderson) NV to pick it up. I wanted to post some cell phone video of Interstate 15, but I can't do that until I transfer it from my phone to the computer then to u-tube. I'll start that process after I finish here. What happened today, though, really bothered me. There's a small area of my lawn next to a sidewalk that goes along the side of my house that had some bricks laid out. I think that a previous owner might have parked his cycle there. That's just a guess. I used to park various bikes there over the last 30 years. In the pictures of my 650, I think they are barely visible. Within 10 feet of that area, I have a BBQ grill. It's a new one that I recently bought and I though it would be nice to set some bricks under it and in front of it so there would be a nice area to have the grill placed plus a place to stand. I know that I'd have to dig out the area in order to prepare it for a base for the bricks. Now I needed some bricks to pre-measure the area to get a good idea on just how big the area would but especially how many bricks I would need. Instead of going out to buy a few bricks, I remembered these bricks that had been place in the lawn. I figured they'd still be in pretty good shape so I started to dig them up. Again, they were fairly visible as a good portion of their top surface is visible. I started to dig out the ones that were nearest the sidewalk first. As I got farther away from the sidewalk, I got closer to the bike. When I removed the 2 bricks that were in front of the tire, I thought that there might be some under the tire so I decided to back up the bike. Now the bike had a few tarps over it and I took off all but one. I was able to sit on the bike and hold the handlebars that this tarp covered. Now I have relatively short legs (my pants are a 28" inseam) so if I sit on the bike and place my feet on the ground and pull backwards on the handlebars, I can't generate a great deal of power as my legs are barely on the ground to begin with. I should add that I had thought I was going to sell the bike a few months ago so I had made sure the tires had the proper pressure, and with help, moved the bike a few feet from where it had been parked so the bike was sitting up on the grass and not stuck in place. In trying to move it and rocking it I lost my balance and the bike gently rolled over on it's left side. Nothing to worry about as my leg was out to the side and it sort of eased down. Now I have to pick it up so I get on the left side and grab the handlebars and try to stand it up. I could only get it about a foot or so off the ground but that was it. I had to get my wife to help me, (she's 10 years younger) and we both stood it up rather easily. But at 72, I still thought I'd be able to pick it up. Perhaps there's an easier way to do this that someone could tell me about. Frankie

I hate to tell you this. Before I get to "this". first let me say that I've been very busy lately and haven't done much with the bike. One of the reasons is that I ordered cleaning tools for carbs and they just came in yesterday. So that's why I haven't started on the carbs yet. In a previous post I told all of you that I bought a car on line and flew out to Las Vegas (Henderson) NV to pick it up. I wanted to post some cell phone video of Interstate 15, but I can't do that until I transfer it from my phone to the computer then to u-tube. I'll start that process after I finish here. What happened today, though, really bothered me. There's a small area of my lawn next to a sidewalk that goes along the side of my house that had some bricks laid out. I think that a previous owner might have parked his cycle there. That's just a guess. I used to park various bikes there over the last 30 years. In the pictures of my 650, I think they are barely visible. Within 10 feet of that area, I have a BBQ grill. It's a new one that I recently bought and I though it would be nice to set some bricks under it and in front of it so there would be a nice area to have the grill placed plus a place to stand. I know that I'd have to dig out the area in order to prepare it for a base for the bricks. Now I needed some bricks to pre-measure the area to get a good idea on just how big the area would but especially how many bricks I would need. Instead of going out to buy a few bricks, I remembered these bricks that had been place in the lawn. I figured they'd still be in pretty good shape so I started to dig them up. Again, they were fairly visible as a good portion of their top surface is visible. I started to dig out the ones that were nearest the sidewalk first. As I got farther away from the sidewalk, I got closer to the bike. When I removed the 2 bricks that were in front of the tire, I thought that there might be some under the tire so I decided to back up the bike. Now the bike had a few tarps over it and I took off all but one. I was able to sit on the bike and hold the handlebars that this tarp covered. Now I have relatively short legs (my pants are a 28" inseam) so if I sit on the bike and place my feet on the ground and pull backwards on the handlebars, I can't generate a great deal of power as my legs are barely on the ground to begin with. I should add that I had thought I was going to sell the bike a few months ago so I had made sure the tires had the proper pressure, and with help, moved the bike a few feet from where it had been parked so the bike was sitting up on the grass and not stuck in place. In trying to move it and rocking it I lost my balance and the bike gently rolled over on it's left side. Nothing to worry about as my leg was out to the side and it sort of eased down. Now I have to pick it up so I get on the left side and grab the handlebars and try to stand it up. I could only get it about a foot or so off the ground but that was it. I had to get my wife to help me, (she's 10 years younger) and we both stood it up rather easily. But at 72, I still thought I'd be able to pick it up. Perhaps there's an easier way to do this that someone could tell me about. Frankie

Fit engine bars. Doesn't matter what they look like, they provide an easy fulcrum to roll the bike on and righten it - providing they stick out enough.
I have no trouble lifting my GS850 because of them.
Otoh, my XJ900 is a slim engine (for a four) and even though it has engine bars they hug the lines of the engine and don't provide a fulcrum.
I found that out when I dropped it in the front yard (wet moss, foot slipped out) and I had to fetch a hydraulic jack and wooden packers to raise the bike enough to get a grip on it.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone on picking up the bike. Years ago I just used to grab the handlebars and pick it up as I was very strong. Not any more. I tried it that way and didn't get very far. Only made me feel older. I can see now that there's a lot easier way to do it. I'll probably go out and tip the bike over just to try it and see how it works. Better to fail at home where I can get help that to find out I can't do it when I'm out somewhere. I didn't get back to my last post right away as I was tied up with an outside project that I wanted to get done while we had a couple of days of nice weather. I put in some pavers for a BBQ deck and it took me a few days. Can't work as fast as I used to, but I took my time and it came out ok. It gave me some ideas for a place to park the bike....(see pics).....Frankie
IMG_3702.JPG
IMG_3707.JPG
IMG_3710.JPG

Back