New to me - ‘95 Honda Shadow VLX600

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I should have a back up project for the winter, so I made a commitment to buy a ‘95 Honda Shadow VLX600. I don’t have a good picture to share of the actual bike. This beast has a whopping 41 hp, channeled through a 4 speed tranny! The bike has less than 2,000 miles, needs carb work and cosmetic attention due to many years of neglect. Not really my thing (model wise) but it looked like it had potential to clean up nicely. Engine cases, valve covers and hubs show corrosion under the clear coat, but that should clean up well. Chrome should clean up too, with the only challenge being the front spokes. There’s some marks (scratches) on the left side cover but the tank and fenders are nice. The inside of the tank is very clean.

Once I get the bike and start work on it I’ll post up my progress and or challenges. Best guess is I should have it in a few weeks. I must be a glutton for punishment adding another vehicle to the garage. Lol

Last edited:
Poor picture of the actual bike.

IMG_3902.png

Last edited:
Obviously the first priority will be to get it running and I’m fairly confident that won’t be a problem. Then over the winter I’ll pick away at some of the cosmetic issues. Come springtime I’d like to ride it a bit as I’ve never owned a cruiser style bike. Who knows, I may like it. There seems be a large following for this model so maybe the 4 speed and lacklustre performance aren’t so much an issue.
Stay tuned!

Has anyone here ever owned one of these? Is there anything good about them other than being reasonably priced to buy? I suppose if they’re like other Honda stuff, it should be reliable (says the guy who bought the bike that doesn’t run - 🤣).

Been both sides of a 600; a 500VT ascot (500 shadow in Ascot clothes)
couple 750 shadows and piles of 1100s but never 600 shadow. (they simply don't fit me)
It'll come down to liking (or not) the cruiser equation/compromises; Relaxed: riding position, steering, and braking. In general also limited rear suspension travel for the low seat height.
Typical Honda gotchas; are extremely tight carb packaging IE often a PITA to get em in and out.
Like many old bikes, charging issues crop up. Hondas seem to be prone to gas tank rot at the back corners.

Last edited:
Been both sides of a 600; a 500VT ascot (500 shadow in Ascot clothes)
couple 750 shadows and piles of 1100s but never 600 shadow. (they simply don't fit me)
It'll come down to liking (or not) the cruiser equation/compromises; Relaxed: riding position, steering, and braking. In general also limited rear suspension travel for the low seat height.
Typical Honda gotchas; are extremely tight carb packaging IE often a PITA to get em in and out.
Like many, old charging issues crop up. Hondas seem to be prone to gas tank rot at the back corners.
Oooh, now I need to worry about the tank. Under the cap it was squeaky clean, but I never inspected the corners. Damn🤬. Thanks for the heads up.

I should have the bike in my possession by the end of the week. I dropped by to take some pictures. As previously noted it doesn’t run (yet) and the shiny bits need attention, particularly the engine cases, valve covers and front spokes. Engine cases are easy to address. Valve covers are a pita to get off. Fortunately it will be a bit easier because the carbs need to come off anyway. This is what the bike looks like now. It hasn’t had a proper cleaning for many years.

With your talent and dedication that should be flying down the road and STYL'N come spring!
Sorry you must have me confused with another more able person. Lol

I’m anxious to have a go at it. The cosmetic stuff can wait but I want to get it running asap. Space restrictions will limit its time in my garage this winter. Competing for space with the mighty beetle. A friend said he’ll store it for me.

Back