New to me - ‘95 Honda Shadow VLX600

Not sure where to find this north of the border. How do you dispose of it once used? I used to have muriatic acid on hand but got rid of it since I didn’t like storing it in the house and I didn’t have a garage at the time. I used to use it to remove aluminum deposits on cylinder walls - scoring on 2 stroke engines.
Pot-15 has a metal prep that leaves a phosphorus coating.

They do, but it's expensive. What I posted is cheap. At least, it was before the days of covid-19.
Agreed. POR15 products are quite expensive. They make good stuff but sometimes one can’t justify the price differential. I bought some of their Metal Prep many, many years ago and still have some left (most likely no good now). As I recall it was a mild acid test you rinsed off with water and the steel didn’t rust afterwards do it must leave a protective coating.

Agreed. POR15 products are quite expensive. They make good stuff but sometimes one can’t justify the price differential. I bought some of their Metal Prep many, many years ago and still have some left (most likely no good now). As I recall it was a mild acid test you rinsed off with water and the steel didn’t rust afterwards do it must leave a protective coating.
I believe the POR-15 Prep is phosphoric acid. I had some. It’s very old. I think the shelf life is unlimited.
1705509970465.png1705510018943.png

IMG_3709.jpeg
IMG_3712.jpeg
IMG_3711.jpeg
I told myself no more polishing, but while waiting for my inner tube to arrive, I couldn’t stand looking at the nasty part of the rear hub. Much of the hub is inaccessible for a proper cleanup because of the stubby spokes, so I decided to clean up the brake side a bit, which is most visible. This was less than an hours work. Kind of a hack job but turned out ok. 180 sandpaper to remove the majority of clearcoat, then clean up the remainder and get heavy scratches out with red; green and gray Scotchbrite pads. Came out with more of a satin finish.

I believe the POR-15 Prep is phosphoric acid. I had some. It’s very old. I think the shelf life is unlimited.
View attachment 259891View attachment 259892
Thanks!, now I know.
CLR is my go to first thing to get corrosion off fishing gear and switches.

BOSCO, great work on the rim clean up.

I"m wondering if we HAVE or SHOULD have a DIY tire change thread. I'm following this thread closely not only cause its interesting but I have a new project 1982 XJ650 I am hoping to change the tires myself.

Last edited:
Just had an idea. As I'm working in a cold garage this winter, when ever I'm working with rubber parts I'm warming them up with a heat gun (warm not hot and not burnt). At work i have an industrial environmental test chamber that is big enough to hold the tire. I think when I change the tire, I'll bring it in and warm it up to 100-110F to let the rubber warm up and be easier to work with.

Just had an idea. As I'm working in a cold garage this winter, when ever I'm working with rubber parts I'm warming them up with a heat gun (warm not hot and not burnt). At work i have an industrial environmental test chamber that is big enough to hold the tire. I think when I change the tire, I'll bring it in and warm it up to 100-110F to let the rubber warm up and be easier to work with.
I like that idea as long as there are no hot spots and the temp is evenly distributed. We all know that tires warm up, that racing tires can get "very" warm but I do not know what inducing one "hot spot" (from a heating element or warm air source) might do to a tire carcass or the rubber compound.

The tire swap is pretty easy now that I’ve done it several times. Key points: warm tire; good tire mounting lube; good quality (design very important). missing one of the above makes the job difficult and increases the probability of tire / tube / rim damage.

I’m also getting good at cleaning up the aluminum surfaces. As long as your goal is a satin finish and not a high polish like chrome, it’s fast and easy, as long as pitting isn’t deep.

Nice work! I bet you really enjoy riding this bike about the neighbourhood and you keep it. At least, I hope you do for at least a few months to enjoy the fruits of your labour. :cheers:
Thanks, I’m just trying to keep up with you. Yes I’d like to ride it a bit, but another side of me is ready to flip it. Time will tell.

IMG_3714.jpeg
IMG_3715.jpeg
Cleaned up the grungy chain. A bit of surface rust that looks like the PO sprayed lots of oil on top. Got it fairly clean. The surface rust on the rollers will wear off quickly. The chain seems stiff to me. It could be rust or maybe cold orings binding things up. The bike hasn’t been ridden in 8 years for sure and maybe it’s been 10+ since it had a good run.

Looks fantastic Vic!!
Thanks Jim, there’s still some stuff to do to “pretty it up” more but I don’t think I’ll go there because I may flip this bike in the spring and a potential buyer wouldn’t notice it. I’m itching to take it for a spin to see if the carb repairs are all it needed to make it run as it should. That ride is unfortunately many weeks out there. The beetle will appreciate this project being completed as it has been neglected for many weeks.

Back