Need help with fuse block mounting location

XSFazz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my '78 Special has the PAMCO ignition, and the PO had it wired up pretty... interestingly to say the least. It's just a big mess of wires and inline fuses -- not to my standards by any means. So I bought a 6-way fuse block on amazon and I was hoping I would be able to mount it somewhere under the seat. I can't find a good location to mount it and was wondering if you guys could give me ideas as I'm sure somebody as done this. Or if you could recommend a smaller fuse box maybe or something.

Here's a few pics:

Jumbled mess of wires / inline fuses:

IMG_2644_zps4830bf53.jpg

The block:

IMG_2643_zpse5ac26a9.jpg

Maybe can mount it this way and just mount it to the battery with strong double sided mounting tape? But then it would be a pain to change the battery out, I suppose I could always just move the block out of the way if I need to do that. What do you guys think? Wanted to get some opinions before I start.

IMG_2646_zpse2c36782.jpg

Thanks man!

So I relocated the reserve lighting unit to underneath the side cover. Mounted to an existing hole and need to just make a small easy bracket to reach the other hole.

Here's a couple of pics. I still need to loom up and tuck the wires and also bolt the fusebox down, it's just held down with double sided mounting tape for now. But I fired up the bike and it works! So much cleaner now!!

Before:

87F854FF-757D-4CFE-8042-03D6730C5E7D_zpsqbiqyzru.jpg

After:

DF60297F-465D-40B4-BA83-4A99B942A98B_zps6jiyzljw.jpg

Thanks man! There's a couple of other wires I need to shorten (ones toward the bottom left of the battery) which go to a plug. So I will take care of that tonight and properly tuck that plug in as well, to be even cleaner. Then I am going to drill 2 holes and mount the fuse block properly as I don't like just having it there with mounting squares.

Yeah whoever did the wiring last time probably had a little too much coffee.. it was a complete mess as you can see. I feel much better now.

Oh you'll also notice I snapped my tank bolt tightening it :(

Now to drill that out and find a new tank bolt...

Looks great! I'm kinda sorta doing the same with my 79'. A few wires look fried, I'm going to chase them back. They might have just got hot. Definately will be following your lead with your fuse block. Thanks... Here's my mess...
c23bf01beab93bf484fbb0ff3ee00f31_zps55eb1767.jpg

The "mess" you had is an often applied fix for the crappy stock fuse block. It may not be tidy but is an easy fix for bad fuses.
Leo

Back