Never say never. Ever.

By way of a brief update for those who are interested, my young charge alluded to in my first post has been back at university for a bit over a month. With a bit of assistance from the appropriate university staff, but primarily of her own initiative, she has managed to sort all of the logistical and practical issues that (quite expectedly) presented themselves, and has been in attendance at most of her sessions. More than that, however, she has been publicly acknowledged on at least one occasion (in session) for being one of the few students who actually did the work and was consequently equipped to answer questions, but has also received one of the highest marks in one of her sessions for her first essay. There have been the expected focal and uncertainty-related challenges, of course, but these are showing signs of being displaced like so many dominos. I'm so proud of her!

Also, it now appears that one of my other older girls is likely to have a very successful second year at university, in spite of her almost reflexive self-doubt. I had the honor of proofing one of her essays; it was a thing of beauty! It's so much fun to watch as a young person "meets" a part of themselves whom they never knew.

In my avocational work with my young people, I think the thing that strikes me the most poignantly is an almost thematic co-mingling of fragility and brilliance. Before we dismiss fragility as a certain impediment, we had best recognize it as fertile ground for the cultivation of the very best qualities of humanness: discreet brilliance, empathy, and kindness.

TC

Back