new b

ericthered

Reaction score
I'm looking to learn about xs650s I dig em. I would like to one day get one hardtail it and ride it. I really don't know anything about them. I just keep coming back. I own and ride a 97 sportster but am currently looking for a project. So I'm here to learn from ya'll about whatever i can learn cause i don't know too much, if anything at all about the 650. Thanks

Decide if you like the spoked or mag wheels and then get whichever one you like. The later models had larger forks and are a little bit easier to find parts for.

Later models like what years? Mag wheels, spoke doestn't really matter. I want one that kick starts or do they all kick start? I would like to hard tail it or find one that already is. I'm cheap and on a budget so you know how that goes.

I like getting my hands dirty. I don't know alot about them so when I find one I like i need to know what to look for you know.

I like getting my hands dirty. I don't know alot about them so when I find one I like i need to know what to look for you know.
IIRC the 77+ years had the 35mm forks. They are a bit easier to find parts for. The 80+ had electronic ignition which I really like. Some people like points better though (they are crazy).

They all have kickstarts and are pretty much the same bike AFAIK. The major differences being the wheels. The specials had a smaller and wider rear wheel for a "cruiser" look.

Just find one that is cheap and that has good compression.

A good year and model ID from XS Club Australia of the XS from 70-83 with pics and descriptive development between the models, Note the US XS had the single disk brake on the front.........ID charts US and INXS's World (including US) ID chart. Engine and frame no's matched

Parts manual and part no's for the different models biker.net.........Visual description of the different carb's MikesXS and Technical variations, (jets,pilots,needles,Year,etc), XS Club Australia

Good reference reading and lots if Tech info and More XS650 Club Aus......................The Vault from 650Rider.......and of course our own tech section

Last edited:
Back