New to me basket case

82special

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
New member, first post. Been riding and wrenching for years but have been pampered with FI the last 3+ years. Excited to have a project again. The bike came with a few bins of extras; most bits hold no value. Will be listing some items for sale/trade.

I haven't dug in real deep yet; it's still in the back of the truck. Doesn't appear to have spark, battery is dead, I'm told carbs flood, caliper leaks... Basket case.

Looking to purchase or borrow a welder. Would like to put something together without relying on the web for every solution.

I'm in it for the long haul but hope to have it road worthy in a few weeks. Already finding great info here. Thanks in advance for tolerating all the newbie Q's.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got your hands full there. Looks like it too judging by the red wire running under the tank. ;)

OOoooh.. more photos... I bought a 82'.. as a left over in 83'.... with factory saddle bags.. (should have kept them).. paid, $1604.25 out the door … :)
Nice bike.. doesn't handle well.... but a great cruiser. One of the problems. disconnect and jump the side stand switch and clutch switch… it's just a matter of time before they come back to bite ya.. could be why no spark.. ? also the fuse box... " green death ".. fuse terminals go bad..... a cheap easy fix.. I got a replacement fuse block from a auto parts store.. a hour in the garage.. done.
If a bike has been sitting for any long term.. I like to pull.. carefully.. each electrical connection.. clean. and reconnect with electrical jell.. many times you'll find serious... ugh lee.... corrosion..... this may cause a resistance... hard on the stator-rotor and can affect other components. IE: fuse block.
ck the fluids before start.. the usual.. marvel in the cylinders... while you're getting everything squared away.. let the marvel do it's job...
ask questions... some pretty smerk guys on this forum.... I'm not... just play one in the garage.... I'm the guy who somehow wired his starter in relay with the turn signal flasher.... never heard a starter go in and out before.. really mess'd with my melon for a time....

I like it. Kinda have a soft spot for stock specials. Good luck with the build and plenty of info to get you started in the tech section.

Back