Newbie from over the pond.

Mannyroad

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
As the thread says I'm new here, and from the UK. Looking forward to taking part in this forum and seeing what you guys are building/doing with your XS's.

Just acquired an XS 650 - well, 270 degree rephased 750cc Street Scrambler styled bike tbh - bought from a pal in Australia (engine was built by Daryl Hutcheon in Melbourne). Had it about a month now, awaiting UK registration. The Jap Bonnie is a bike I've wanted for quite some time, being great to bobber/chop etc. When my pal was selling his I just had to ship it over here. I'm currently fitting a 7" LED headlight to it and have designed billet mount brackets that a pal of mine is currently machining up for me. Also having the seat recovered in chocolate nubuck leather and am having some new 2 into 2 304 stainless hi-rise reverse mega zorsts built to add to the scrambler look.

Other bikes? I also have a KTM 1290 R Superduke (to keep me young when out on a fast blast with the lads), a 1340 EVO Harley softail that I've customised, painted in metallic olive green with gold pearl wavey US flags and 'weathered' army stars etc. and a ground up custom built bike styled on Indian Larry's bike Grease Monkey, powered by a fairly rare 84" S&S shovelhead motor. The missus passed her bike test a couple of years back and has a Honda 500 Rebel that I've customised for her, painted it in a matte metallic olive green colur, shod it in knobbly Bates Baja's. She loves it.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and to say Hi.

Just messin thuban. Been pokin around on the forum. Some good stuff there. Been looking for some engine stand brackets for it over here in the UK, like the ones that XSChop do, but no luck so far. The forum thread on them (Cleaner engine stand plans) has a few good ideas and have given me a couple of ideas for designing up a mount that will fit my engine stand yet allow the XS motor to be broken down from the top or from the bottom and still swivel 360. Love a challenge. Just got to wait till I pull the motor out of the frame to accurately measure up the engine mounting point centres because there seems to some uncertainty over centres on the thread. Then its hit Inventor to get it 3D'd up.

Roger that, Mannyroad! Yep, you can check the Tech section but there are so many gold nuggets buried in the posts it will take years to find them all. Luckily there are folks that have been on this board for MANY years. They can find and point you to info in posts faster than you and trace the big dipper on a freckled red head!

Now that I think about it. I made an adapter for the front of the Yam engine, just a "U" really and welded it to an Engine Stand. I could turn the engine 360 just like a small block chevy. I may have a pix around here someplace.

Last edited:
Welcome to the madhouse Manny :D Guess I'll be the first to mention it... we love pics here. :whistle:

Cheers Jim, and yes I love pics too. Just have to figure how to post some, as Photobucket is shite these days and I'm not sure quite how (haven't posted pics on a forum for a while, hahaha! (And I'm not the most tech savvy of guys :umm:)

Cheers Jim, and yes I love pics too. Just have to figure how to post some, as Photobucket is shite these days and I'm not sure quite how (haven't posted pics on a forum for a while, hahaha! (And I'm not the most tech savvy of guys :umm:)
Follow the numbers. Click #1 and box #2 pops up. Click browse and find the pic in your computer. #3 is either click full image or thumbnail. And there ya be. :D

upload pics.png

upload pics2.png

upload pics3.png

baba looey.jpg

Greetngs Mannyroad! Nice rides you have.
Where in the UK are you? I rode around East Anglia some 4 decade back.
....and I was tearing around the Midlands back then.

Thanks for the kind comments re the bikes. I have a passion for stamping my mark on bikes, so usually pull them apart and customize them.
I live up in the northwest in the county of Lancashire, so I'm only a stone's throw away from two of our national parks, the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dale's, where I'm out on one of the bikes often, when it's not raining of course:D

Forgot to include the Beast. This keeps me awake in the Yorkshire Dale's :). Then again, the Austin Racing exhaust system keeps everybody else awake too :laugh:

Attachments

• 20190404_131037.jpg
    20190404_131037.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 135
Back