no timing marks ?

THE AXE

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone..i just joined up but have been checking this place out for awhile. this has been the best tool in the tool box for sure!!! i live in vancouver and it's time 2 ride, sorry not pokeing the folks still in the cold. i have a 1980 xs650 and this is my first build. been on two wheels all my life but just riddin, so that said i am learning as i go.
my question is this. the bike has had a banshee swap but not the way that punkskalar showed us, it is what it is! so i have no timing marks or timing tab on the case. i have found top dead center by looking threw the spark plug hole but what about the other marks? oh and this 1980 has points not the box. anyone have a idea how i should set this beast up so i can tune my timing in? thanx for the past present and future help...ps thanx travis for pointing me here

Last edited:
:banghead:Hello there, I too just converted to a Banshee and forgot to record timing marks. I also installed a Pamco. After fiddling for a while, I got my bike to fire but she needs some fine tuning...how does one go about his without marks? How do you know if its a fuel or a spark issue? Thanks in advance to you tuning gurus!:D

HEY THERE DEPENDABLE, I USED THE LINK THAT MRRIGGS SENT ME ( IT'S IN THIS THREAD ) THAT GAVE ME WEAR TO PUT THE MARKS ON MY CASE THEN TOOK OUT MY SPARKPLUG AND FOUND TOP DEAD CENTER AND MADE A MARK FOR THAT. WORKED FOR ME...I HAVE POINTS ON MY BIKE NOT SURE IF THAT MAKES A DIF OR NOT FOR WEAR THE MARKS GO.

Posted via Mobile

If you make a key that fits both the rotor and crank you won't need to remark the rotor.
Leo

It only takes two minutes to find TDC and draw a line on the rotor. In the time it takes you to hunt down and make a key you could have marked and remarked the rotor 50 times.

You have to mark it once whether you have a key or not, and this alternator is so reliable that you will likely never have to take it off.

I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't make a key. It certainly won't hurt anything. I'm just explaining my reason for not mentioning it in the instruction sheet or making one for my bike.

Back