One more sump filter question... For the average rider.

XS-IVE Habit

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
First off, sorry for my absence. I have been driving my ass off delivering Chinese in the Wilmington Area to pay for my spring projects... Cherry '73 TX 650 that my dad and I are going in on, my dad's BSA Royal Star A50 from 28 years ago, finishing up my '91 (birth year) Suzuki DR 350 restoration and modification. And if the guy ever emails back, a '76 Honda CB 400F resto with my dad as our 1st annual bikes and beer summer restoration project.

Anyways, I am thinking about the mikes sump filter... before you say anything about it blowing out like the old ones, consider I will be using it running Mobil V-twin 20-50 and I let my bike ('75) properly warm up and I ride it rarely near, and never above 5,000-5,750 RPMs. So will the give or hold up.

With proper warm up it should hold up ok. Checking it out and cleaning it very oil change will let you know if and when it tears.

With proper warm up it should hold up ok. Checking it out and cleaning it very oil change will let you know if and when it tears.
I concur. My '75 had over 100K on the original engine (rebuilt several times), and the original oil strainers. With conscientious warm-ups, I never had any problem with the strainers tearing.

Well then I believe that i should replace mine because it is not like it would be a step down technology between the two. And I just will continue to treat my engine like I was taught to.

100k miles congrads to you man! way to go how many years did that take? not to change the subject, mikes sump filters are much better than stock and a lot cheaper than stock.:thumbsup:

One more oil sump filter repair method. Thought I'd toss it on this thread. One inch strip of steel (this was cut out of a piece of steel pole barn siding) cut to 1" wide by about 4" long bent to fit, spot welded on with my MIG, then ground off the lumps. Spotting with a MIG is nice because it's easy and puts almost no heat on the metal, the welds didn't bother the adhesive for the screen. Still need to work on my spot welding settings a little. Go ahead, what do you think? Sure a mike's filter sounds better but I just got a Mikes order in and am not ready for another one yet.

oilscreen (1).jpg oilscreen (9).jpg oilscreen (10).jpg

Last edited:
I ought to buy a few, send them to you Gary, and have you weld the plate on, then ship'em back to me. Then I'd have new ones already fixed.

On the other hand, when I have bought 3 of the original type of strainers, I could have got one of the modded sump plates.

That's kinda how I fixed one of mine. I used a strip of metal from a soup can. I used JB Weld to fix the strip to the filter. I got no mig welder.

Back