Open throttle choke out?

ithazbgun

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Newbie to the forum so hi everyone. Bought myself an xs650 special II last autumn, ran good and rode it until it got to cold outside. Just got around to get it out of storage and i have a problem. Starts fine and idle is good but when i open the throttle it chokes it out and dies and when i release the choke it dies so i'm thinking that something is clogged. Wondering if anyone has had this problem and how to fix it or if anyone with more experience can give me some help to point me in the right direction on how to fix it. Going to search the forum to see if there is a thread like mine but i figure I make one anyway. Open to any advise and thanks for checking my thread. :D

My semi-educated guess would be bad gas. Did you put fuel stabilizer (aka Stabil) in the tank last fall? If not you may have to dismantle and soak the carbs (I like Berryman's Chem-Dip), drain the tank and start over with fresh gas (maybe a shot of Sea Foam too). If you have a fuel filter, replace it. There may be a screen inside the petcocks, you can clean it or get new ones cheap from Mikes (go ahead and get the petcock rebuild kit while you're at it).

Ethanol is known to not only degrade after a few weeks but can also damage some rubber and plastic components found on older machines., thus my suggestion about rebuilding the petcocks and carbs. If you can, I suggest also only burning non-alcohol fuel.

Always start with the simple, inexpensive things first. They are usually the problem. Check the points, valve gap, etc. before assuming its something costly.

Good luck.

Like kent said, clean everything thoroughly. I had a similiar problem earlier this year and I found a piece of sand in one of my pilot jets. Cleaned it out and bike ran great!

All the above. I've owned 28 bikes a few new mostly used and have yet to find one that was put away in storage properly; full tnak of gas with stabilizer, fog the engine with WD40 or similar, fresh oil/filter change even taping up the exhaust to prevent moisture from getting into the engine through hot and cold cycles (I know a bit extreme, but Porsche types do it all the time).

Let's face it cleaning carbs sucks when a very little PM can save all that unecessary aggrevation. I hate it.

Take it out of storage change the oil and filter, change the fuel filter, dump the gas, fill up with fresh fuel, do what ever normal maintenance is due for the mileage and ride all season trouble free.

Back