Petcock Vacuum To Manual Conversion

I believe 650Skull may have done the conversion some years ago or at the least shared the info.
On the non vacuum ones from eBay or Amazon, make sure of the spacing of the mounting screws/bolts to the tank. 46mm or 42mm.......it makes a difference. I'm running some 46's.

There is an XS John mod on here somewhere, in the absolute deepest darkest recesses of the hive, that converts a vacuum petcock to manual. It takes a little bit of careful drilling if memory serves. Skull can perhaps dig it up if he's inclined. (removed ggg) I converted my vacuum petcock to manual simply by removing all the insides. That gives you a 'run' and a 'reserve' but no 'off' position. This was done in a roadside emergency. I later added an inline on/off. My vacuum petcock was always leaking or not responding to vacuum no matter what I did, and now it was leaking like an open hose, and I was never so glad to get rid of something. I had to empty my tank to do the work, and a guy on an ATV came by at a most opportune time and I gave him my gas. He invited me to his yankee Lutheran church and I should have gone there and probably gotten lots of good free stuff. But nooooo......

Last edited by a moderator:
I drill and tap aluminum adapters myself; doesn't take more tools than a drill press, hacksaw, files, and tap. Commercial items are usually chromed brass, with a coefficient of expansion that matches that of the steel tank more closely than aluminum. My adapter stays sealed, but there was a learning curve. A single 1/4" NPT petcock will feed your motor all it needs and leave more sealing surface on the tank, but they're harder to find than 3/8" NPT.

Back