Carbs not pulling gas

cosmic

XS650 Member
Reaction score
‘77 xs650, when i bought it it would fire up on starting fluid. I cleaned out the tank and carbs but when cranking I can see the lines from gas tank to carb is empty. I think the petcocks are clogged up so I’ll clean those out, but the fuel lines are not vacuuming and I believe 77 need the vacuum to suck gas right? If you do need the vacuum then what could be causing it not to?

77 did not have vacuum petcocks unless someone put them on there. Pull the petcocks and see if you can blow air through them in the on and res positions. If the tank needed cleaning those probably do as well.

77 did not have vacuum petcocks unless someone put them on there. Pull the petcocks and see if you can blow air through them in the on and res positions. If the tank needed cleaning those probably do as well.
Okay I’ll try this. Petcock has on/off/res switches. Nothing will come through on any of them. I wasn’t able to get the screws out cause they’re stripped but after pulling the plate on the back there was some junk in there. Just gotta figure out how to get the stripped screws out

You might want to also order a couple of rebuild kits so you can replace the o-ring underneath the petcock as well as the rubber disc valve inside. There’s nothing worse than gas leaks

You might want to also order a couple of rebuild kits so you can replace the o-ring underneath the petcock as well as the rubber disc valve inside. There’s nothing worse than gas leaks
Yeah I’m planning on getting new petcocks or rebuilding these and of course new screws. Just wanna start it up and make sure it’s the petcocks and not anything else

Just drill the heads off; take the petcock off and you should be able to get vicegrips on what's left of stem

Just drill the heads off; take the petcock off and you should be able to get vicegrips on what's left of stem
Yeah i’ll probably end up doing that. Then get a rebuild kit or new petcocks depending on how bad they are

Most new petcocks are Chinese knockoffs and good ones aren’t cheap. The knockoffs normally need a little work to keep them from leaking as well. There’s a rebuilding thread with some good info.

Most new petcocks are Chinese knockoffs and good ones aren’t cheap. The knockoffs normally need a little work to keep them from leaking as well. There’s a rebuilding thread with some good info.
I’ll give that a look thanks. The tank was pretty corroded so I’m hoping the petcocks aren’t.

Then it’s just turn lights once it’s running and it should be street legal

Back