Reminded why I love my XS

ProSimex

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So my 74 TX has been a tad shady in the working well department, needs new plugs, slide diaphrams, and the advance springs need attention. I borrowed a friends CB550 to do a ride test to upgrade my licence. I didnt care for it, and returned it as soon as I was done.
Anyhoo I was outside cleaning up my bike and thought ahh fuck it ill take her out for a spin. Started up first kick, put her in first and HOLY SHIT away we go! The take off on this little thing is awesome. It isnt running top notch at all but is waaaaay more fun then the CB. Did you know that on some bikes you can actually SEE things in your mirrors? I always thought they were ornamental!:laugh:

You gotta ride something dull and smooth every now to remember how nice the vibes and torque on these twins are. :bike:

I have a honda 250 reflex scooter. It's the stationwagon of bikes. Gets you there in no style. Switching back and forth with my XS650 does a great job of putting a smile on my face.

Replaced the plugs and now everything is running tickity boo! Went for a tear around town. I got back to my street and zipped past my house. When I went to turn around I had a slow motion "god I look stupid" moment and layed it down at .5kph. Felt like a total fool but when I kicked it back to life and rode back to my house I was happy again!

Today I finally went for a long ride 125 miles. Man it felt great everything was numb. And it felt weird when I rode through the small town where I grew up on a bike just like my first xs at 16. There is nothing like the sound and feel if these old classics.

Absolutely nothing I have seen comes even close. Maby a Norton or a BSA, but I dont have that kinda scratch. It is hands doen the prettiest looking engine I know of, the vibes and power are perfect, and the sound? Instant trouser explosion everytime I kick it over!!!!!

Replaced the plugs and now everything is running tickity boo! Went for a tear around town. I got back to my street and zipped past my house. When I went to turn around I had a slow motion "god I look stupid" moment and layed it down at .5kph. Felt like a total fool but when I kicked it back to life and rode back to my house I was happy again!

I know what you feel like. 2 months ago I layed mine down at .5km too. I live on a hill and I always do a tight turn up the hill and gun it on my little 250. So I did this on my XS650, tire spunout and I fell over. never anyone there, but I had an audience that day. I felt retarded. But live and learn.

My current bike that runs is a Honda ST1100. It's a bit like driving a Greyhound bus. That's why I'm building the Yamaha. I'm taking as much weight out of it as reasonably possible and re-styling it a bit hooligan. I'm an old guy. It's time to do this. I have an old Bonneville as well. My goal is to make the Yamaha look and handle better than the Triumph.

There is nothing like the sound and feel if these old classics.

Quite right. My TX is like a time machine for me because I was 18 when she was built. At that time, my folks would never let me anywhere near a bike, and all I could do was lust after the look and sound of others' machines. Now that my bike is running so well (though a little on the rich side), every time I roll on the throttle, I can scarcely believe that, after 38 years and all the seemingly hopeless drooling, I'm finally on the other side of the gauges.

TC

Back