Replacing Cylinder sleeves

Rickrod3

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey All:

I have a set of jugs with nice sleeves with broken fins and a set with good fins and notso good sleeves.

I would appreciate any tips on removing and installing sleeves.
TIA
Rick

take em to a machine shop and have them deal with it. they can press the sleaves out, do the measuring, bore as necessary and press the sleeves back in

Even machine shops stuff it up sometimes, I've got a very high compression xs after the machine shop stuffed it up and had to skim the barrels to suit.

You might have trouble swapping sleeves. They all have different ODs from the factory. That is why they have numbers on the lower outside that match. Once in the new jugs you should bore them to get a true dimension again. It can get pricey.

i took my sleeves out just for an experiment. 250 degrees in the oven, upright, on a cookie sheet, twenty minutes later, I herd the alum. piece fall, and I wasnt fast enuf to get both out, so I stuck it in again for twenty minutes, and quickly removed the sleaves. I never put them back in, though, prolly alot harder. Iwould just grab a set off ebay, and get em sized.
were are you? I have a good set, needs sized though. got them off ebay, but then decided to get mike's six over kit instead.

I wonder if you put the sleeves in the fridge or freezer whilst heating the fins might make it a bit easier? Fins top down on a good level surface...hmmm....if I can get the wife outta the house for a few hours......

Twojugs, the number on the out side of the sleeves below the jugs is the diamater the sleeves were bored to at the factory to match the pistons installed at the factory.
When the pistons are cast they come out different sizes. they are measured and the size is marked on the top of the piston. say .963 This is the piston size of 74.963.
They then bore the sleeves to get a .050-.055 mm clearance. Then mark the sleeve for it's size Like 016 which is 75.016.
75.016 - 74.963 = .053 right in the middle of the .050 - .055 spec.
This is the numbers from one engine I have.
Changing the sleeves by heating in an oven to 300 or so degrees works well. Heat, slip the sleeves out, slip the good set into the good jugs.

Hi I have just bought a Yamaha XS2 with a seized engine, it didnt put me off though as sleeves are on here at original spec and as part of my job I have two electric ovens that heat aluminium die moulds allowing the extraction of the internal graphite rings, similar to sleeves. Yes we heat them to 325 degrees and they fall out, the temp is very precise so if need be ill try this, although my New York XS2 has only covered 21000 so im hoping she frees up and only needs honing, great forum guys keep it up

Back