Replacing Master Cylinder

shade

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a day or two to spend working on the bike (1983 XS650) and was hoping to change the master cylinder. I purchased a new master cylinder from Hugh's Handbuilt but before I begin I was hoping to get some pointers / advice. The first problem I see is electrical, how to connect the wiring to the two prong connection in the picture. I bled the brakes when I replaced the piston so I feel confident doing that.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0557.jpg
    IMG_0557.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 169
You're stock connector isn't going to mate up to that. You're gonna have to cut off that connector, attach two female connections to the wires and put them on the prongs. You'll need to shrink wrap them to protect them from the elements. When you pull the lever you the hear click sound, that's the prongs closing to complete the circuit. That will engage the two connections you put on there to light the brake light. Hope that helps.

You could cut the plug off and install spade connections. Or build a new one which is the way I'd go.

Cover ANYTHING that is painted with damp rags before you spill the brake fluid.

You're stock connector isn't going to mate up to that. You're gonna have to cut off that connector, attach two female connections to the wires and put them on the prongs. You'll need to shrink wrap them to protect them from the elements. When you pull the lever you the hear click sound, that's the prongs closing to complete the circuit. That will engage the two connections you put on there to light the brake light. Hope that helps.

When you say shrink wrap them would electrical tape work?
And you are saying to cut off the old connector, then put each wire into a female connector, and put each connector over one of the prongs?
Thanks!

You could cut the plug off and install spade connections. Or build a new one which is the way I'd go.

Cover ANYTHING that is painted with damp rags before you spill the brake fluid.

I plan on having the tank painted soon so wanted to get the brakes squared away first, thanks for the heads up.

When you say shrink wrap them would electrical tape work?

And you are saying to cut off the old connector, then put each wire into a female connector, and put each connector over one of the prongs?

Thanks!

Yes, cut the connector off and splice in a female connector to each wire and attach to each prong. Electrical tape will do ok, but heat shrink will be better. If you have a harbor freight near by you can pick it up very cheap.

I tried a few different connectors but in the end just soldered the wires to the two prongs. This may not have been the right thing to do, but seems to be working.
Replaced the rear brake pads, the master cylinder, and changed the fork oil. Despite the cold took the bike out for a test drive and running very poorly again. Stalling, and lurching but I'm guessing the carbs need to be cleaned again? Hasn't really been ridden in a while, and despite fuel stablizer I'm hoping it just needs to be cleaned out again.
Waiting for new float valve seats to take the carbs off, and clean.
Any thoughts, I'm all ears.
Thanks

PS- At the least the brakes seem to be working well

Hi shade,
hopefully the HHB m/c has a smaller piston diameter than the stock m/c so you'll get a better brake feel?
That said, the blob on the end of the brake light wiring is the stock brake light switch.
Clip it off, attach the appropriate terminals to the wires and push them onto the spade terminals on the new m/c.

Hi shade,
hopefully the HHB m/c has a smaller piston diameter than the stock m/c so you'll get a better brake feel?
That said, the blob on the end of the brake light wiring is the stock brake light switch.
Clip it off, attach the appropriate terminals to the wires and push them onto the spade terminals on the new m/c.

So far the brakes feel great. I've already cut the piece off of the stock brake wire, but when couldn't get any of the connectors that I bought to work with the two prong piece that came with the HHB master cylinder. To remedy this I soldered the wires to the prongs and carefully covered with electrical tape.

Back