Research Discovers Why Some Drivers Do Not See Motorcyclists on the Road

Thats the article I was trying to recall! Here is a great little video demonstrating it , it also talks about the “looming effect” that a motorcycle approaching a car has. From the car drivers perspective a motorcycle appears to be a small distant thing, even as it approaches the car, then as It nears the car it suddenly appears larger and surprises the car driver.

Something I else I used when I was commuting, was additional lighting from the front. I tried to create that triangle of lights that helps you stand out from the background.
View attachment 206737

This was especially helpful since I was riding in both pre dawn , and evening darkness. On my Suzuki I was running white LED visibility pods down low on my forks. These were not driving lights, just small pods that had 16 LEDs each. During the daytime they were not especially bright, but at night they really popped.
View attachment 206738View attachment 206739
I have the same triple lights on my Honda Sabre
I can switch off the 2 side lights if I want but I just keep them on for more visibility

Recent habbit I have gotten into is using my hazard lights when stoped at roadworks or traffic lights.
In

Used to ride with a guy that got rear ended at a light. Luckily the light was changing green and he saw the guy coming up too fast. He tried to out drag the oncoming car and sped up enough to where the guy hit and folded his rear fender in against the tire by the time the guy stopped. He didn't fall and the guy who hit him made a u-turn in mid intersection and took off back the way he came.
My bud had to drag his bike over to the side of the rode and was there a couple minutes later as I came riding along and recognized him sitting there. Luckily I was only a couple miles from home and could go and pick up my trailer and come back to pick him up.
After that He added more lights to the rear of his bike including a set that flashed when he braked

^Stop farther behind the car in front of you than you would driving a car. That helps keep you from becoming a sandwich, and also lets you execute your planned escape maneuver, like zip around the side of the car in front of you. Most people who get hit were surprised by it, which says stay alert

Don't most motorcycle accidents happen without involving cars? It seems alcohol is usually involved too. I've seen lots of accidents at rallies. It is always because someone was riding beyond their ability. I did lose a friend to an intoxicated driver a few years ago. In traffic, I assume I never have right of way.

I have a 2018/19 Honda CB1000R - it has a feature which I think is downright dangerous. Both left and right blinkers (indicators) are solidly lit all the time until I use the switch to make a turn and of course they revert to just that side blinking. My concern is that a car driver may just quickly glance and see one of the blinkers (solidly lit) and think that I'm making a turn. One blinker could easily be blocked out by the angle of the bike. I dont understand how we can get get booked for having too short a tail tidy but the authorities (australian design rules) allow such a dangerous feature. The bike already comes with daylight running lights.
I recently read a report from an insurance company that the most common motorcycle accident was caused by car drivers making a right turn accross the path of the motorcycle. (remember we drive on the "right" side of the road" lol). When the car drivers were asked how/why the accident happened, the reason given (this is serious and genuine) was " I just didnt see him". They investigated why this happens and the experts in this type of subject reckon its because our brain/midset/conditioning is used to seeing a car and not something smaller like a bike.
Regards Ray.
I’m considering buying one of these machines in the UK.
The indicator issue must be due to local legal requirements in your area.
UK bikes don’t have this.

I read an article a few years back about this. Originated in the UK, I think. They called it the SMIDSY - Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You.

If I have any doubt at all about cars coming from side streets or waiting to turn, I'll do a little dosido in my lane.
Sorry DE this ain’t from the UK.
See my post.

I’m considering buying one of these machines in the UK.
The indicator issue must be due to local legal requirements in your area.
UK bikes don’t have this.
Funny enough, no other model/make of bike sold in australia has that "feature". So it cant be a legal requirement. There has been ways on the internet to disconnect it - I should get off my arse and do it.
Regards Ray.

Back