Retarded

Growl

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
XSJohn experimented a lot... and shared his experiences... I decided to try one of his suggestions "gear it tall but retard the timing"

I tried the stock 17/34 USA gearing for a couple years, but it wasn't pleasant for freeway cruising. Then, I really enjoyed running a 30 tooth sprocket for years. When I scramblerized the bike, I thought 38 teeth would be the ticket for dual sport... but just couldn't get into it. What a grind! So I installed the 17/33 Eurpean gearing which is pretty all round usable.

Then I retarded the timing by 2 degrees, as XSJohn suggested. It works! You do lose acceleration... the engine is less fierce. Mellower. But able to run at lower rpms without lugging. It now is smoother at 9 mph that it was at 12 mph. It is easier to plod along. As a bonus, the bike is also a bit smoother at freeway speeds... It is running cooler according to infra red thermometer readings. I will be tracking MPG.

I think I'll try this after riding the stock configuration for a while, so I have a base to compare it to. I've had great results on '80's Hondas with 2 less teeth on the back sprockets, but those '80's bikes were geared for 55 mph strictly, what an awful time that was for Sammy Hagar.

Scott

I think the 17/33 is ideal with an 18" rear wheel. You wouldn't think one tooth can make much difference but it really does. I have a spare wheel with a 32 on it and find that a bit high. It really cuts into the "fun factor" in the lower gears.

I think the 17/33 is ideal with an 18" rear wheel. You wouldn't think one tooth can make much difference but it really does. I have a spare wheel with a 32 on it and find that a bit high. It really cuts into the "fun factor" in the lower gears.

The XS sprockets are much smaller to begin with than the Honda sprockets that I have changed to two teeth smaller. So, it does make sense that one tooth could make just the right difference. I'm set for mods !!!

Scott

... I'm set for mods !!!

I've long been harboring a 'restrained enthusiasm' for the high-ratio primary gearset (finger hovering over "buy it now"). It's been something I've wanted since my long x-countries in the '70s, but it didn't exist then. 70 mph on that lightweight 750cc beast was near effortless, even running an 18 tooth front (4400 rpm), and I just KNEW that it could easily pull that at 1000 rpm less.

Probably would burn out the clutch with the tall early 1st gear.

Don't hear much in the way of ride reports on those gearsets...

Back