Retitling advice for a real deal

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
I've located a '95 Suzuki GS500 - "0" miles still in the crate. It is complete, but lacking a front wheel and fuel tank. No Title. My question how to get a title. I've heard of buying a wreck and use that title. How is it done? Transfer the VIN plate to the good bike or how??

I don't know about Florida, but in Missouri you could take the bike still in the crate, to the highway patrol and they'll issue a new vin or something,

Since it varies so wildly from state to state, I would call the state Dept. of Transportation and see what is required to get a title for it there. Then if necessary I would get in touch with a company such as the one Travis has experience with to get paperwork that would suffice to get a title in my state. In my own state you can't get a new title without an old title in hand, period. So I was told.

I was thinking about buying titled frame from a similar vehilce.

That happens all the time (in my state). Buy a bike without at title, and buy a frame without a bike.... Then move all the parts to the titled frame. Just use that title to get a registration. All completely legal.

But to avoid scrutiny if you take some other path, just ask hypothetical questions. The person you're speaking to isn't going to demand your name, the location of the bike, its vin, or etc.

if it is still in the crate the original dealer would have had a MSO (Manufactures Statement of Origin) check with your DMV but you are right it might just be easier to find a titled frame and go from there

This may work in Florida. Take any proof of ownership and history to the local court house and get a judge to issue a court order to give you a title. You might want to get a statement of sorts that says the VIN is not stolen. Dress and talk like a Gentleman, Jim. That shouldn't be too hard. ;^) Take the court order to teh DMV and lose the fake sophistication, "Give me my title!" (Remove shoe and bang on counter.)

You very well could buy a used GS500 with a title, tank and wheel but all the new stuff would need to transfer to the old frame. A big but not undoable job. What would be a nice custom color for the frame, silver?

Are you getting this crate bike super cheap or what? The GS500 isn't a high priced bike to begin with but I do like them.

TG

I had a '97 GS500 that I bought for an ex girlfriend to learn on. That never happened but it was a nice little bike after you upgrade the front springs. I've read that doing the math for the front springs will tell you the bike is sprung for a 40lb rider! I think progressive springs were like $75 and it made a hell of difference in how the bike handled. So if you get that '95, you'll have to buy new front springs for it too. Mine was a '97 with about 4,000 miles, looked pretty good, and I sold it a couple of years ago for top dollar ($2,000 in late Spring). I don't think you'd get more than $2,500 even for one right out of the crate since the new (leftover) GS500's are going for like 3,000 on ebay.

If you get a titled frame, just put all the new parts on the titled frame.

I feel like buying a frame and then moving all the shit over to it from the crate bike would be a pain in the ass.

Where is the bike coming from? as said before MSO...yea there ya go

or just walk over to DMV at the ass crack of dawn when there is no one there, if your lucky theres either gonna be an elderly lady whose cool as hell or a hot chick whose lookin for some morning slap and tickle... they will help you out and tell ya what ya need to get a title...looks and age are not a factor as to whether you get a title or not but of the two options your either gonna get a cool lady to talk to or one thats gonna help ya get a title and then some

:cheers::pimp::devil::twocents::bed::p:D

Call the DMV first, if they can't/don't/won't help-they may not actually know, READ up on it on your state gov website. It's there somewhere-no one here really knows unless they have real knowledge of FL law. People are always going on about this, and some find the simplest solution is right down the road at the DMV or whatever.

It's simple in TN where I live, once I found the form.

John

I had a '97 GS500 that I bought for an ex girlfriend to learn on. That never happened but it was a nice little bike after you upgrade the front springs. I've read that doing the math for the front springs will tell you the bike is sprung for a 40lb rider! I think progressive springs were like $75 and it made a hell of difference in how the bike handled. So if you get that '95, you'll have to buy new front springs for it too. Mine was a '97 with about 4,000 miles, looked pretty good, and I sold it a couple of years ago for top dollar ($2,000 in late Spring). I don't think you'd get more than $2,500 even for one right out of the crate since the new (leftover) GS500's are going for like 3,000 on ebay.
Travis,

Funny you should mention a week front end as this bikes does not have a fork or front wheel. Any tips ona better front end to substitute?

I looked into buying one of these before I got my xs, and the first thing I noticed on the forums was everybody replacing the forks or springs. Should be a fairly zippy little bike with its hp vs weight.

IN MN it was pretty easy. I needed:
-bill of sale - signed by seller, must inlcude vin from motor and frame
-statement of fact - basically how I got it and its known history. A form that's online.
-Pics of all 4 sides R/L/F/B
-$45

Then review it and give me a provisional title and Lic plate.. If nobody states that the bike is theirs in the next 3 years, I get a real title.

Travis,

Funny you should mention a week front end as this bikes does not have a fork or front wheel. Any tips ona better front end to substitute?

Ah yes.. forgot about that part. I'm really not sure what'll fit. If you can find the fork size, or neck bearing sizes, maybe something from this thread might help http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236

From what I remember, the Ninja 500 (EX500) is the closest comparable bike. And the front ends on those are okay I think. To be honest, after upgrading the springs, the stock GS500 front end was just fine for the bike. I would probably look for a complete GS500 front end so your wheels will match and just get the better springs.

I know nothing about this make and model, but it seems to me like it would be a real mistake to transfer anything to another frame, given this bike is untouched and frame/engine match. Find a NOS front end and re-sell the bike. Call your state DOT, I'm sure there's an easy answer on the title. 0 miles in crate, somebody's gonna pay some money for it.

Whatever you do, do not tell an officer or DMV clerk that you transferred parts from a non-titled bike to a titled frame. They compare it to changing the VIN from a stolen vehicle to a clean VIN and title. May vary from state to state. For a moment I thought the Sheriff was going to arrest me over my little Yamaha Champ frame swap. He showed me the law I broke and let me go. Got a bonded title and in three years I'll have a clear titled Champ 50. ITS Title service worked on a different bike as well.

It's so arbitrary, even opposite, from state to state. Just lie, forge, whatever you need to do that you can get away with....

Back