Rotors?

pckopp

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The one that helps charge my battery.

Mine is shorted. Any thoughts, yay or nay on getting new versus a rebuilt one. Or having mine rebuilt. I see several on ebay and a rebuild service in Alabama that are a bit less expensive than Mikesxs (out of stock) or 650Central (rather expensive, IMO).

Appreciate any input.

Thanks!

I would not buy from them unless they will cover shipping both ways if it turns out to be bad.

If you're a real hard core do it yourselfer, over on 650rider.com there's an old thread about rewinding your own rotor. Didn't sound hard.

I would not buy from them unless they will cover shipping both ways if it turns out to be bad.

If you're a real hard core do it yourselfer, over on 650rider.com there's an old thread about rewinding your own rotor. Didn't sound hard.

Which supplier are you referring to? Did you actually rewind your own rotor?

Which supplier are you referring to? Did you actually rewind your own rotor?

I'm referring to any supplier that sends a new part that's bad. Only an arm twisting weasel would make you pay to send back a new part that he sent you that was bad.

I didn't rewind one myself, but there's a thread there by a guy who claims he did it, giving step by step instructions. An alternative to the usual. Could be an internet weirdo. Dunno.

The Electrex site doesn't have a listing for the XS650 so I emailed them and pled the case for making it. I have had good luck with their products in the past.

The Electrex site doesn't have a listing for the XS650 so I emailed them and pled the case for making it. I have had good luck with their products in the past.

Not sure I would put them on my supplier list. There have been lots of horror stories in the KLR world about their large wattage windings. Certainly lots of reported failures. No personal experience, my samples could be hogwash.

$0.02

Since I'm living in a rental with minimal tools, rewinding my own is not an option. Even if I were home in Seattle with all my tools and the shops I know all around for help, I'm not sure it would end up much cheaper than a rebuilt one.

Used or rebuilt will do me fine. I'm happy just to think I have found the last of the electrical gremlins in this bike.

Thanks for all the links and suggestions. Punkskalar's chopcult link was an education. I like that stuff.

Rewinding your own would be more expensive than a used one, probably. But with a used one you can't proudly point to it and say you did it yourself to someone who says "ummm, not now, I'm texting :)

Coming back from a ride today I stopped at a light beside a girl on the sidewalk. Not only did she not flash her tits, she never even looked up from her thumb typing.

Posts with Pete at Electrex.
Hi Gary

Its ok to post it on the forum.

I forgot to mention we do have a complete self generating race ignition for the XS650 ref. STK 465 this replaces the alternator but alas no charging output.

New system will be 3 phase permanent magnet external rotor and cdi ignition.

Regards Peter

> > Hi Gary
> >
> > I know the XS650 very well I own one. We have no immediate plans to make a new rotor however we are planning to produce a complete modern alternator and ignition system to be ready early next year.
> >
> > Regards
> > Peter
> >
> >
> > Electrex World Ltd

> >
> > The XS650 line is old but extremely popular yet both stock, and as
> > bobbers, choppers, street trackers and any other type of custom you can
> > name. With a production run of 13 years and a volume of somewhere near
> > 40,000 bikes all of which use the same rotor. So do you or would you
> > make or rewind rotors for them?

If my goes out ( and it will sooner or later) I might try to see if I'm capable of going the permanent magnet way. The cost is more than a straight replacement however so that of course would factor in. It would also take more time as there are modifications to be made. . I think if I replace the stock with stock I would send it to custom rewind as I have not heard anything negative on them. Just my 2 cents also.

If my goes out ( and it will sooner or later) I might try to see if I'm capable of going the permanent magnet way. The cost is more than a straight replacement however so that of course would factor in. It would also take more time as there are modifications to be made. . I think if I replace the stock with stock I would send it to custom rewind as I have not heard anything negative on them. Just my 2 cents also.

The Permanent Magnet Swap just about pays for itself if you get rid of good working stock stuff on ebay. I offer a kit that makes it simple to do, and I offer regulators as well for the swap.

That said, I have used Rotors I will sell for $55.00 if anyone needs one...

Hugh

Back