Second ride while I work on the old gal

suxelp

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi all, hoping to pluck the collective knowledge on here, best place I wrecking :)

I am in Lithuania and am looking for a second ride while I rebuild my xs, Jenny. I was looking at a local listing for a triumph street twin and the seller did say it was hit in rear but runs fine besides brake lite/indicators.

Well, I found the street twin i was looking at online elsewhere. Apparently it was in a crash in new York. One thought I had is that it was better for owner to have it written off at which point I assume you can only scrap it or export it. Then it got auctioned and ended up here, other thought is that it is beyond what I would to pay to repair. Not sure I can fully assess that. He says it runs so could have a ride... what else to look for though? Any advice? Here is the auction site https://bid.cars/ru/lot/0-28101155/2018-TriumphMotorcycle-StreetTwin-SMTD31GN2JT869233

Hi Suxelp, if the bike has been crashed you should certainly check it thoroughly before riding! Things I would check at the very least - the wheel alignment, the suspension, the brakes.

Maybe you know how to check wheel alignment? Put the bike on level ground, kneel behind it and look along the wheels. Kneel in front and do the same. Even better, use a long straight plank. It should be possible to place the plank so that it is parallel to both tyres with an equal gap both sides. Look for threads on here and maybe youtube videos because it is important to ensure the bike is straight.

Suspension - take hold of the handlebars and pump the front forks down and up. They should move smoothly and not jam.

Likewise, check the brakes - that they work, release and do not leak.

If you are in doubt, ask somebody who knows about motorbikes for an opinion before you ride it. Hope this helps? Cheers, Raymond

Do you think my assumption about insurance/write off/export could be valid?

I really don't know because the law on vehicles and title/ownership is so different in the USA from where I live in Britain - no idea how rules on insurance or scrapping/write off works in the US of A.

Hope you got a good bargain buying a bike with an accident in its history - but check everything before you ride . . .

Back