81 xs650 dies while cruising.

Just a quick update- my new regulator rectifier arrived today and i tried it out. It didn't work. When revving the bike, my voltage didn't go up at all.
I read that the unit needed grounding to the frame so I ran a jumper to the main ground, still no increase.
Then I did a resistance check through the connector, all good.
I'm going to have to return the R/R and order another.
My new cdi arrived to try the gonzo cdi also. I have to write up a connector and plug it in, but it's crazy hot in the garage right now, so I'll try it later this week.
ever fig out the issue? im, having the same exact problem

ever fig out the issue? im, having the same exact problem
Yeah, it was the ignitor box. What made it complicated what l was that I replaced the title first and the aftermarket rotor was not sending a string enough trigger signal. I put the old rotor back on and it was all good.

I'm a huge fan of this Gonzo conversion! My only suggestion to any who go thru this in the future is that, in going back to the OP's original problem, I like the idea of trying to take a ride on a 'battery only' set up. I disconnect EVERYTHING and just wire up the ignition as minimally as I can and use test wire jumpers for battery connections. A good fresh battery will run the bike for a while with no other loads on it. Assuming it still screws up, it's a lot easier to address a limited number of parts involved than trying to fix a lot of things all at once. In the OP's case, I think that igniter box issue might have been resolved conclusively with a swap to the Gonzo box, leaving him with maybe a bit of a charging system issue, but at least his days of quitting on the road would be over....

Back