Squirrels can read minds - Who knew?

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I scatter some scratch feed for the chickens twice a day - morning chores and evening chores. I use a Wild Bird Mix for scratch feed, sunflowers, cracked corn, oats, millet and various other seeds. Double benefit, what the chickens don't eat (they don't appear to care for millet) the mourning doves and various tweety birds hoover up.

Last week, at least once a day, I'd spot a grey squirrel in there getting his share. I was gonna give him a pass, but he started going in the coop and chowing down on the layer pellets...not to mention making a mess while he was at it. Sorry, Rocket J., that's over the line.

So, I staged my pellet pistol in the feed shed figuring I'd pop his fuzzy butt.

Haven't seen the furry little bastige since. Whatever works, I guess.

If you manage to snare that squirrel, what would you do with it? Have you ever tried to casserole them? I hear they are OK to eat.

Feed him to the eagles.

When I was stationed in South Carolina, I rented a place way the hell out in the puckerbrush as I HATE cities (Charleston). About 100 yards behind the house was a big hollow chockablock full of Hickory trees...and squirrels. Had a ball down in there popping big greys with a .22 pistol.

We'd clean 'em, boil 'em up and make barbeque sammiches out of it. Pretty good.

We'd clean 'em, boil 'em up and make barbeque sammiches out of it. Pretty good.
thumbsup.gif

When I was a kid, we'd tan the hides too. Made nice decorations for gun and knife scabbards.

Where there's food and a squirrel finds it, the word gets around and you'll soon have a 'few' more hungry ones.:sneaky:

Back